Winner Center Console

Status
Not open for further replies.

studlymandingo

Commander
I recently purchased a 1986 18' Center Console Winner "Sea Quest". It has a 150 Oil injected Mariner outboard. The boat has a 60 gallon fuel tank, and plenty of storage. The deep hull gives a dry ride in choppy seas, it seems to be a great boat. No one around here has heard of a Winner CC, but it has clean lines, and looks great even when in the company of the many new boats around this area.

tonka_shores

Cadet
Re: Winner Center Console

studlymandingo wrote: "No one around here has heard of a Winner . . ."<br /><br />Winner owners get use to hearing that. Winner is like a ghost company. When the Thompson Boat Company bought Winner, all references seemed to disapear. There's some Winner history on my website below. The only thing that keeps Winner alive are we few owners. So, post more pictures of these great boats!

studlymandingo

Commander

here is my center console
6ed97644.jpg
<br /><br />The motor cover is undergoing beauty treatments currently.

Stumedic

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have the same boat, with a 175 Johnson and I love it. I can't find any specs on the boat, however. Are you sure about the fuel capacity being 60 gal? That would be great. Stu

studlymandingo

Commander

Actually it is a 70 Gallon; I recently ran the tank completely empty (deliberately, I had a portable tank onboard to get back to the ramp with) and filled up, 69 gallons and 198.00 later, the pump cut off! Good to know as I am taking this boat across the Gulf Stream this August.

Stumedic

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ken, mine is an '86 like Studly's, and I had graphics front to rear. Silver and black "racing stripes" and a red boot stripe, with Winner on both sides and Winner Quest. I removed them all-a heat gun and a little patience. Funny thing is the original waterline was about three inches lower than the actual one, so I taped it off, sanded the gel, and painted the bottom paint up to the new water line. Looks very clean. I would have left the Winner logo on the quarters, but one side was damaged so off they came. The boat is scary fast, and with the sea conditions in the north east I never had the guts to open it up yet. At 3400 I'm doing a comfortable 26-28 mph. I brought it up to 40 and it still had more to go. I'll leave it to you guys to figure out the top end. Stu

Ken Barber

Seaman

Stumedic - Thanks for the information. I will put it on my list.... which seems to grow every day. The previous owner left it uncovered for a couple of years, so the cushions are shot, and there is some rust stains on the console from the seatback. Otherwise, it is a great boat now that I finally drained 15 gallons of water and gas, added a new racor filter. It now runs like a pro. The water was seeping in from the gascap, and the PO never knew it. A new O-ring is all it took. Can you post a picture of your Winner?

Ken Barber

Seaman

here are a few pictures of my 89 winner 1850cc with a 140 Evinrude.

Attachments

• DCAO0007.JPG
    61 bytes · Views: 7
  • DCAO0008.JPG
    58 bytes · Views: 8
  • DCAO0009.JPG
    58 bytes · Views: 1

studlymandingo

Commander

Ken, your photos aren't coming up on the site, are they "hosted" on an outside site? If you are having trouble PM me and I'll walk you through the process.

Stumedic...that's cool to see a boat just like mine. The only difference is the t-top that is on mine, and you have additional railing on the bow.

studlymandingo

Commander

Dickson, Tennessee was the home of a boat builder for many years. Winner Boat came into being at Trenton, New Jersey prior to World War II. In 1947, they were one of the earliest producers of all fiberglass boats in a regular production operation.

Around 1958, Wizard Boats of Costa Mesa, CA built a branch manufacturing plant at Dickson. Soon afterwards, they purchased WInner Boats at Trenton and moved its operation to Dickson. For a short period the combined operation was known as Wizard-Winner Boats. The Wizard name was dropped not too long afterwards, however, and she became known as Winner Boat. Her line of fiberglass pleasure boats expanded to inlcude runabouts, small fishing boats, and cabin cruisers.

In November 1977 Winner Boat was purchased by Thompson Boat, Inc. of Peshtigo, Wisconsin. The Dickson plant at First and Pickert became known as "Winner by Thompson." By the summer of 1978 Thompson decided to close down the plant. They moved molds and other production equipment to Wisconsin and auctioned off the remaining assets in June or July 1978.

Thompson continued to use the WInner name to describe those products that originally came from Dickson for a number of years. In fact, Thompson continually registered the name "Winner Boat" up through circa 1991.

In the meantime, Ned Momany revived the Winner Boat name at Dickson in 1980. He had been employed by the original Winner at Dickson previously. The "new" Winner Boat operated at Dickson throughout the 1980s before sucumbing to hard economic times. It is not known how two companies were able to use the "Winner Boat" name simultaniously; Winner Boats owned by Thompson and Winner Boats of Dickson.

Mr. Andreas Jordahl Rhude of Minneapolis is researcng and writing about this boat builder. If you have recollections of Winner, Wizard, and Thompson Boats, get in touch with him via email: thompsonboat@aol.com

studlymandingo

Commander

Here is an ad that Stumedic came up with:
winner_construction2.jpg

I checked on the company, they are still in business in Clearwater. I'm going to call them tomorrow to see if they have any old literature laying around. It's a longshot, but hey...

mailman2

Seaman

I have a 1850 Winner CC 1989, one of the last ones. My tank size is 36 gallons. I run a 140 Suzuki dt. It's covered right now so no pictures. One of the best and heaviest 18 ft boats out there.

Stumedic

Petty Officer 3rd Class

mailman2 said:
I have a 1850 Winner CC 1989, one of the last ones. My tank size is 36 gallons. I run a 140 Suzuki dt. It's covered right now so no pictures. One of the best and heaviest 18 ft boats out there.
I have to agree. I've been around boats a long time and I an very impressed with the construction. Hey Mailman, you have me worried though. Studly says 70 gallons and you say 36. I'm planning some off shore trips and I really would like to know how much fuel I hold. The furthest out I've gone so far is about 40 miles, and I did it on about 35 gallons. If what you're saying is true, I'm running around on fumes! Where did you get the tank specs from? Stu

mailman2

Seaman

The book that came with the boat. Plus, I was reading about a half tank of gas and I started to syphon my tank because of the e-10 gas and I took out about 20 gals. I maybe have 1 or 2 gallons left, put MDR K-100 MG in the remaning gas and added a little stabil so in the spring I will syphon what ever water that is in the tank{found none] and then fill with fresh gas. My tank is green colored poly.

mailman2

Seaman

Also, Back in 1989 I bought the boat new for $13,500. Boat, bimimi top, 140 Suzuki ,and trailer. If you bang on the outside of the hull, it feels solid. the new boats , if you do the same thing, you can see the ripple effect. It weighs about 200 to 400 lbs more than most of the 18 footers, which means more fiberglass and no wood stringers.

Stumedic

Petty Officer 3rd Class

My tank is white poly, and it takes up the area under the center console and live well. I wonder if they changed fuel caps from '86 to '89? Stu

mailman2

Seaman

My livewell tank is under the port rear seat. It's oval and molded in. Plus it has a under deck storage in front of the console which can also be used for a livewell tank.

Stumedic

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Maybe there is a design diff. My live well is in front of the console. In front of that is a below deck fish box. Behind the console is another hatch with a compartment, but that was filled with flotation foam-I guess to meet USCG specs. The foam is waterlogged anyway, so it's coming out. If you can post some pics that would be great. Stu

Stumedic

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Stumedic said:
Maybe there is a design diff. My live well is in front of the console. In front of that is a below deck fish box. Behind the console is another hatch with a compartment, but that was filled with flotation foam-I guess to meet USCG specs. The foam is waterlogged anyway, so it's coming out. If you can post some pics that would be great. Stu

Forgot your boat is under wraps. Any copies of any owners manuals or sales lit would be appreciated though. I have a few center consoles in my marina, and the ony one that is a nicer build is a Whaler. The rest are flimsy by comparison. I have a lot of faith in the construction of that little boat. Stu

Status
Not open for further replies.