Looking for a Wellcraft Gran sport Owner (questions)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamie 10017

Seaman
I am in the process of restoring a 87 Wellcraft Gran Sport and have a question That Im hopeing someone who owns one can answer about the holding tank. Thanks Jamie

Jamie 10017

Seaman
Re: Looking for a Wellcraft Gran sport Owner (questions)

Ok since no one steps up, here how about a wellcraft express cruiser owner that could answer a couple questions for me. thanks Jamie

boat_junkie

Recruit

I am in the process of restoring a 87 Wellcraft Gran Sport and have a question That Im hopeing someone who owns one can answer about the holding tank. Thanks Jamie
We have the same boat, and I am also doing a restoration.

Brent

Jamie 10017

Seaman

Hi Brent, How far along are you with your restoration? What are you doing to it a full resto or just a few things? Maybe we can share a few tips of things you found or that I have found. Nice to know someone else loves this boat too I think they are beautiful boats. Jamie

RockL76

Recruit

I recently bought a 1988 Gran Sport what did you want to know about the holding tank?

kmarine

Chief Petty Officer

Please describe the issue with your holding tank. I have had a lot of expierience with replacing waste tanks and hoses and valves. most boats use simular systems. I am a wellcraft owner who has had to remove a leakiny Yvalve and replace waste lines to rid of odors.

Jamie 10017

Seaman

What im looking for is how is the tank mounted? I would like to see some pictures of the way the tank is mounted and if any the supports it has. What size tank did the gran sport have I have read anywhere from 18 gal to 30 gals. My boat had a tank sitting on its side that was 13 gals and nothing holding it. Thanks for the replys Jamie

kmarine

Chief Petty Officer

I do not have a photo of my Martinique, however i do know that it replaced the grandsport design. My holding tank sits in a 2x4 wood frame box. the frame sits on edege on top of 3/4 in plywood base. There is a notch in the 2x4 where the pump out drain exits the tank. The tank and frame sit between the engines and the aft cabin wall. I Have an electric head that discharges into the top of the tank and a 3/4 inch tank vent line through the side of the hull. the tank just sits in the frame. I dont recall any straps holding it in the frame. Hope this helps.

Jamie 10017

Seaman

Thank you for the reply ,yes that tells me what I needed to know. It means I have more work to do lol my tank sits under the bunk aft of the head. I also have a electric head Raritan sea era . Again Thank you Jamie

boat_junkie

Recruit

Hi Brent, How far along are you with your restoration? What are you doing to it a full resto or just a few things? Maybe we can share a few tips of things you found or that I have found. Nice to know someone else loves this boat too I think they are beautiful boats. Jamie

Hi Jamie,

The boat was a bank repo. The old owners left it to perish. My wife and I were looking at it, took a cleaner and rag to a few items and saw some shine underneath the years of neglect. The engines/trans worked great, the hull seemed OK. A surveyor stated that the keel and any wood supporting the hull had more than enough glass around it to keep the boat structurally sound. I do not intend to go out to the Pacific Ocean, just stay in the CA delta. So we purchase the boat.
None of the systems below worked.
I had to troubleshoot the following systems and find corrective action.
1. Head pump did not work. Rebuilt the motor and the pumps. Had to replace the toilet mount, it was cracked.
2. Clean layers of dust around the air conditioning unit and replace the water pump. Air and heat works great.
3. Replace all DC lighting, only the bulbs were burnt, but I switched all over to LED. The light covers were cracked and discolored, they were replaced. Now it works nice. More lighting than before. My wife is pleased with the light in the head.
4. Galley sink was corroded/clogged. Replace the faucet.
5. All the upholstery had to be redone/replaced.
6. Carpeting was replaced.
7. Generator starter was dead, could not rebuild so had to replace with a new one. Still needs some electrical work, but minor. The generator does work.

Thats about it down below. There are several other items that needed refurbishment. The camper canvas was in OK shape. Just some small rips around snaps need repair. All the screens are new, never used though.

The waste holding tank is just behind the head, under the electrical panel, under the cushion for the aft cabin. Access is thru a wooden cover under the cushion. For some reason the owner had the y valve closed, so the waste could not be vacuumed out from the topside fitting. I carefully opened the y valve and all is good there. Except I cannot get the level indicator to work on the information panel. I have not worked on that yet.

The ice maker in the aft topside works, but the chassis is so corroded, I do not know how long it will last. If anyone out there has a unit that has a decent chassis but does not work, I would be interested in obtaining it.

The thru hull fittings needed repair, along with the packings.

There are other items in the rest of the craft that need attention. I'll get to them one at a time.

Our big project now is to replace the striping paint. Ouch, that is very labor intensive or costly. I decided to reach a middle point. I will do some of the grunt work and have a professional do the new paint or any vinyl striping. I am not much for that kind of finish work. Mainly because I eyes do not work like they used to. Even with glasses.

My only question is this. There is a light in the aft bulkhead of the aft cabin. It is a vertical panel with a white polycarbonate light diffuser. Looks like a few 24" florescent bulbs may be in there. I cannot gain access to it without ripping out the wooden frame around it. So I just stopped there. There is so many other important items to work on, I am hoping I can figure out to gain access to this light fixture. I want to replace it with LED. Can anyone provide information on this item?

I am happy to discuss this anyone that wants to jump in. This project is sort of like a hobby for me, I try to make it fun.

Best Regards,

Brent in the CA delta

boat_junkie

Recruit

Thank you for the reply ,yes that tells me what I needed to know. It means I have more work to do lol my tank sits under the bunk aft of the head. I also have a electric head Raritan sea era . Again Thank you Jamie

Hi Jamie, I'll be working on the boat next weekend. I'll get several pics for you.

Brent

Jamie 10017

Seaman

Hello Brent, Thanks for the info now maybe I can help you, The light you are speaking of at the aft bulkhead, I removed mine to get to the light. What I found is a little disturbing...you are correct the frame was installed before the liner went into the boat the screws on mine were between the liner and the hull which you have no way of reaching once its in the boat. I had to break the frame to get it out, like you the bulbs were out it has 2 12 volt lights and 1 36 in 100 volt light back there ..but Im going to remake the frame so that I can get to the lights. Just a little info on my boat I removed all of the plumbing and electrical wiring 12 volt and 110. It is being rewired to todays AYBC standards It has all new PEX plumbing all new faucets ,drains for the sinks new lights which I also went LED, new bilge pumps and lines ,thru hull fittings, macerator pump, freshwater pump, shower drain pump. I replaced the backsplash under the cabinets with mirriored stainless steel ,new hinges and handles for the cabinet doors. painted all the lockers and bilge. Installed a genset along with heat and A/C,new battery charger, fire system, rebuilt the helm and cylinder, new gauges , switches and dash panels , sliding door tracks and trucks. re-bedded the bow rail and windsheild, it will be painted on the deck sides and bottom. There is alot more but you get the idea its a new 87 boat. And to those who think Im crazy well Im not, just in love with this boat and I do all the work myself, I like the looks and the layout . I still have alot to do but hey its all good and it's mine. Whats that your sayn ?.....I could have bought another boat for what I have in this one hummm...... yeah your right but I dont have a payment and I do it as I go along. As Brent said, its a hobbie and I make it fun

RockL76

Recruit

I recently bought my 88 Grand Sport last summer I always loved the layout and the lines of this boat, the former owner spent over 25K with yard having engine work and electrical work done so mechanically for now I'm pretty good, I have to replace the generator the one in my boat is seized. I have replaced the forward hatch, the door tracks and will be replacing my 12 volt lighting also I would like to know what you used to replace yours. My boat was missing the cockpit seating and wet bar I found a boat junk yard in Mass. that is scrapping 2 Grand sports( what a shame the hulls look pretty nice) and was able to buy the port side seat but it turned out to be somewhat rotted so I have to rebuild part of it. I still need the aft seat and would like to duplicate the wetbar. I recently bought a radar dome to interface to my raytheon C80 and next year I want to repaint my Hull also. I would like to see pictures of your boats and will post mine also and please share any tips you may have on restoring your boats.
thanks Lou

Jamie 10017

Seaman

Do you have the names and email or phone numbers of the yards in mass. What kind of genset do you have ? Thanks Jamie

RockL76

Recruit

Do you have the names and email or phone numbers of the yards in mass. What kind of genset do you have ? Thanks Jamie

Jamie,
massmarineparts.com they are scraping 2 gransports, I have a 6.5 Onan MCCK the one I have on my boat was seized I broke it free using marvel, I will be selling it on EBAY in the next few weeks, I bought a recondition one from a nearby marina.

Jamie 10017

Seaman

Hey Lou, If you have any questions on your boat there is not much I havent had apart on mine so ask away if you want to you can email me directly funnycarguy@netzero.com. As far as lights I used the leds light bars from lowes for the under cabinet. The 12 volt lights take a look around on ebay at rv lights , hope that helps Jamie

boat_junkie

Recruit

Jamie,
I have a question regarding a leaking exhaust on my generator with a standard installation.
After running about 15 mins or so, I can start to smell and see exhaust in the engine compartment. I did a visual inspection and saw no obvious leaking areas. Any ideas??

Brent

Jamie 10017

Seaman

Brent , what genset do you have ? Just so i get a understanding of what you are running. When you say that you havent seen anything leaking I take it your running a wet exhaust with a muffler? This may sound stupid but are you sure its exhaust and not the possiblity of oil smoke or paint burning the reason I ask is first make sure the generator is not running hot, second just a small amount of oil leaking onto the engine and burning off but not enough to run down the side of the engine. If you can send me some pictures of your genset to funnycarguy@netzero.com looking foward to hearing back from you Jamie

boat_junkie

Recruit

Jamie,

We are off to the boat tomorrow for the weekend. Your comments are just what I needed. I will take a careful look for oil leaks and inspect the items you mentioned. I'll take pics.
Thanks.

Brent

Moorea

Recruit

Hi Guys,
I also have a 1987 Gransport and the forward bilge hoses have started to rot away and it has come off the hull fitting out the starboard side of the boat.
What I can't do is get to the fitting because it seems it's behind the head bulkhead with no access panel there. Anyone have a cleaver idea on how I can get a new hose on there short of taking out the head wall?

Thanks
Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.