1979 Wellcraft 165 Airslot???

sirtweek

Cadet
Hello

This is my wellcraft that I picked up at the beginning of the summer. A guy's wife was making him sell it so I got a really good deal on it. It has a 1995 Nissan 40HP OB. It is sitting on a calkins trailer.

When I purchased it I was informed that there was no ID plate on the boat as the boat was reconditioned a few years back. He knew the year the hull was made but no information on the model. The hull and transom are in great condition. The boat did have a VIN that the enviromental police had assigned to the last owner though so I did not have any way verify its model.

I finally found the models available during that year (in my class) airslot and sport. I have searched around and checked pictures and I think its an airslot.

I have since added a bimini top and working on installing a stereo. Looking into get a set of smart tabs for the back also, if I did that I would have to relocate a couple sensors.

Anyways here it is.

thanks for reading

cant see in these pictures but on the other side of the boat is the wellcraft symbol

MikDee

Banned
Re: 1979 Wellcraft 165 Airslot???

Hey, Nice boat, I had 3 of them, 1-16' with a 135hp Johnson outboard, 1-18.5' With 165hp 6cyl Mercruiser, and 1- 18.5' with a 188hp V8 Mercruiser, they are strong heavy boats.

sirtweek

Cadet

thanks. Any idea on what the max HP motor would be. I want to repower in the next couple seasons. Thinking 75-90 but if I found a deal would want to know if it can handle more.

MikDee

Banned

Mine was a 1972 -16' Wellcraft Airslot, Max HP rating was 125hp,,, But I had a 115hp Evinrude on it, didn't phase it! I found a good deal on a 135hp Johnson, and put that on it, and sold my 115. That boat was like a tank, it had no issues handling either motor. By the way, I never had trouble getting up on plane with either motor, by about 1/3rd throttle. These boats are like a "Powersled". The newer ones were rated a bit less, up to 1978 they were rated for 120hp! according to the brochures here, Enjoy: http://www.hsmarine.com/WellCraftAirslots/index.htm