Trophy1952WA starter.

GMIslander

Seaman Apprentice
Good morning.
Has anybody had experience with changing the starter on a 4.3 in a Trophy 1952 WA. I need to change mine out and it does not look very accessible. I really don't want to lift the engine.

Thanks
RG

henleyhale

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Never done one but dont neglect to think about long extensions and swivels or crows feet to help you get to your hard to reach hardware. I keep a set of cheap disposable wrenches that we bend or cut and weld to make them fit our needs for the day. Those cheap 6 dollar sets or a dollar a wrench from the pawn shop.

djohn46972

Recruit
I had mine changed when I had to take the motor for other reasons. Changed a lot of things at that time. Don't see any other way to access the starter.

GMIslander

Seaman Apprentice
Starboard riser and exhaust manifold removed, at this point you can actually see the starter. Weld a socket offset three inches to a rod a foot or so long. Crank the starter bolts out with the homemade wrench. Starter removed now waiting for a few gaskets for reassembly. Also a good time to change the spark plugs. Very close quarters on this engine when it comes to service. Some swearing required.

djohn46972

Recruit
I can believe it. The swearing I mean. My motor had to come out for an insurance claim. I am very thankful that while it was out I did the starter, a couple of pulleys, and the dampener that were showing wear and corrosion. Also had all the spark plugs changed at that time. That motor is set into the engine compartment with very little room to spare. Every time I have to work on it I regret not going with the outboards. Good luck with the rest of the repair.