2000 Trophy 2052FD engine

CaptDuck

Seaman Apprentice
My dad purchased a 2000 Trophy 2052FD a few years back. He hasn't used it much. But now wants to sell it to me. My question is this or should i say my concern is this. This boat has a Mercruiser 3.0L engine in it. I thought it was a 4.3L standard on this boat. Does anyone have this engine in this boat? I am concerned that it is way under powered. If i do get it, i would swap motors and put maybe a 4.3 or 5.0. anybody know the max HP rating for this boat? Under than that this boat is in great condition. Has a trim tabs, GPS, Fish Finder, VHF and a Custom top for it with covers. Thanks in advance.

dadsaway

Seaman Apprentice
I'm a 175 hp outboard guy on my 2002 FF but I had that motor on a 19' cuddy and it was plenty strong. They are very durable motors that are easy to maintain. IMHO it's all about where you will mostly be using the boat. The ocean. you have to pick your days. Back bays, calmer lakes I think you're good. The boat has been in the family for a few years so I'm assuming you know it somewhat. Great all around boat for fishing, towables, and socializing.