1996 Trophy 2002 trim tabs

wingmasterjr11

Recruit
Hi:

I have a 1996 2002 Trophy that I re-powered last year with a 150 HP Yamaha 2 stroke. I'm relatively new to the boat and I fish Lake of The Woods located in northern Minnesota up by Canada with it. The water on LOTW can really get rough and typically your fishing in 4-5' swells and last year I really got tossed around. I was talking to some one at work and he strongly suggested putting trim tabs on the boat to get the nose down when I'm underway. I have been researching this area a lot and find opinions either way if tabs will help or not being tabs are a significant investment I thought I might get someone else opinion. also I do a lot of drift fishing pulling spinners with a drift sock, any suggestions on make it more stable in the water? I see lower profile boats and they don't get thrown around near as much as mine does.

pjumper

Cadet
Re: 1996 Trophy 2002 trim tabs

Trim tabs are a great addition to most boats, they add a foot of length to you hull. they can force your bow down to get you up on plane easier & they adjust listing side to side when running. They wont help when not underway. Deep v hulls tend to bob side to side when drifting or at anchor

wingmasterjr11

Recruit

Thanks, one question what is the right trim tab? If I go electric or hydraulic it will cost $600-1,000 are they worth the money? I see Cabala's sell a self adjusting trim tab made by Nauticus for $139 and they have great reviews, any experience with these tabs?

Trim tabs are a great addition to most boats, they add a foot of length to you hull. they can force your bow down to get you up on plane easier & they adjust listing side to side when running. They wont help when not underway. Deep v hulls tend to bob side to side when drifting or at anchor

pjumper

Cadet

Sorry. No experience with self adjusting tabs. that's quite a cost difference though.

Gerard1970

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I just ordered a set of the smart tabs for my 2002 trophy. They will be in within a week and will let you know how they work.

MikDee

Banned

I would recommend Smart tabs. They will get you right up on plane, & keep you more stable at rest, without any intervention. If you go with hydraulic tabs, you really need one with a gauge. I had them on a bigger boat, (no gauge) and I was constantly adjusting them :rolleyes: When drifting you might want to put them down, then when leaving, sometimes you forget, and hafta quickly put them up. The same thing going on plane, you hafta put them down, then slowly put them up. If you're trying to keep the boat level in rough windy seas, you have to put one down, then if you happen to forget, & turn about, you'll get a rude awakening as your boat lists to the opposite side, till you get the trim tab up. To complicate this, the hydraulics respond slower then Smart tabs! :rolleyes:

As you can guess, I don't like hydraulic trim tabs.

Gerard1970

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Not yet...they were shipped today. I am guessing by early next week. I will let you know.

Gerard1970

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I received my smart tabs and I am installing them today. It is quite choppy today, so if I get a chance I will try them out....I will keep you updated.

Gerard1970

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I tried them out today and they worked great!! Got up on plane where I could not before and overall would recommend them.....well worth the money. I bought the 80 pound tabs and I am glad I did...lots of room for fine tuning.