2005 Trophy Pro 2359

Island_oki2000

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I just bought a 2005 Trophy. I'm switching from a 21ft SeaPro CC, so I'm looking forward to the all weather boat. The original owner only put 90 hours on the boat, so I'm looking for some advice and thoughts about the boat. What types of things should I watch out for with the inboard/outboard? The boat has the 5.0L at 220 hp. I've read some comments in other places about possible under power. Anyone have more on that?

Any advice or lessons learned would be great; I'm new to inboard/outboard engines, so more on that would be great too.

Thanks

Island_oki2000

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 2005 Trophy Pro 2359

Wow, nobody has any tips on this boat? What about just inboard/outboard tips in general? Anything for a newbie to this type of engine? Is there anyone with the 220 hp in a 2359 with comments/concerns?

pjumper

Cadet

My boat is similar to yours, I have a 2000, 2359 trophy - 5.7 merc, alpha 1 gen 2 outdrive. 2nd owner just under 700 hrs. great boat. lots of good trips. Never let me down, preventive maintenance and regular use are key. Flush after every trip. don't run wot for long. 3/4 throttle should be max running. Ive replaced exhaust,& bellows . Impeller every 200hrs, oil & filters every 100 hrs, plugs every 300hrs. hope this helps

Island_oki2000

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the info? Do you flush an I/O the same as an outboard; with a hose attached to the lower unit water intake? I have the 220 hp with Alpha 1 on mine and I've read some comments about under powering from Trophy, do you think this might be an issue?

pjumper

Cadet

ya flushing is the same as outboard. And depending on load and water conditions its pretty hard to get up on plane at times. I have 250 hp, I always put tabs & outdrive all the way down. I don't mind getting on plane a little slower, This boat is heavy & a bit top heavy, I don't like to slam the throttle down hard. Easy does it, once up it performs great.

Island_oki2000

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks pjumper. What kind of MPG and GPH are you getting? I'm hoping the 87 gallon tank allows me to get out farther than I've been going with my SeaPro. I like you am good with sacrificing the speed for the heavier boat and the cabin. I was told and I read that these boats handle he rough stuff a lot better than the aluminum boats that are so expensive here in Alaska.

Do you trailer your boat? I will be trailering mine from Anchorage to Whittier and Seward. Whittier is only 45 minutes away, but Seward is 2 hrs.

pjumper

Cadet

I try not to think about fuel too much. In Canada I troll a lot so its pretty good on fuel that way. When Im in Florida I tend to run more so probably getting 4 miles to the gallon. I run about 3800 rpm & 25 mph. I trailer 1200 miles from Ontario to Florida & 1200 miles back each year. Been doing that about 6 years. Boat stays south all winter & spends the summer in Ontario. Are you on a Loadrite trailer. Mine tows great, Im getting 4 years per set of tires.

Boston79

Recruit
sterndrive motors seem a little more quite a bit more simple to work on in some ways but things can be difficult to access, inspect the bellows/seals around stern they can leak over time and im told they can be a little less forgiving when trying to dock in a tight slip.make sure to allways run blower before starting for a couple minutes especially after fueling or there can be an explosion.Im considering a 2359 with sterndrive for our next boat , pros and cons with outboards too.