Gas spilling when being filled

Bonker43

Cadet
I have a 2007 Trophy 1802. Whenever I fill it, gas always burps out before shutting off spilling gas over the transom and onto the ground or into the water. Any suggestions on how to stop this.

Lone Duck

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Gas spilling when being filled

I have a 2007 Trophy 1802. Whenever I fill it, gas always burps out before shutting off spilling gas over the transom and onto the ground or into the water. Any suggestions on how to stop this.

First thing to check is your tank vent. If your vent line is clogged or kinked or if it has a loop in it that has gas in the loop. The tank will pressure up and cause just such a burp. The air has to go somewhere and is trying to come out the fill hole instead of out the tank vent.

Monterey10

Petty Officer 2nd Class

THis is not uncommon in boats.

There are several factors. If the fuel fill hose has a long run, the fuel can back up in the line. This traps air in the tank. Be particularly suspicious if the fill hose appears to drop, then rise up to the tank. This will cause problems with fueling the tank. I've re arranged fuel fill hoses to have a steady drop to the tank.

If the boat sits on the trailer bow high, the fuel may be trying to fill uphill in the fuel tank. And, as mentioned, the tank vents can get plugged with wasps, the tank vent line can get kinked. One boat I was working on had the vent down in the bilges. The line broke off the vent fixture.

Take a close look at the fuel tank vent and hose.

I can usually hear a gurgle before my tank overfills. I've learned to shut off the pump and check the fuel level in the tank.

Bonker43

Cadet

Thanks for the responses. I checked out my vent hose and found it runs along the fill hose to the tan. There are no kinks or dips. I guess i will just have to fill it slowly.