installing dual batteries on a 20' trophy

nailer78

Recruit
I have a 1992 20' trophy with one battery I would like to install dual batteries with a switch, where do I find the room to put two batteries? thanks.

dadsaway

Seaman Apprentice
Re: installing dual batteries on a 20' trophy

I have a '96 2002 FF. If your layout is like mine, here is what I did. The factory installed battery is on the port side behind the hatch door.
I put the second battery under the oil resevoir on the starboard side behind that hatch door. The oil resevoir sits on a metal wire rack that I removed to allow me to placement of the battery. I bought a West Marine vinyl battery box for the new battery. I mounted the disconnect switch on the port side and screwed it to the built up part of the transom. The battery wires were easily run across under the splash area. The only downside is removing the oil resevoir shelf every fall to remove the battery for winter storage.

I also have a 2002 -96 and are planing to install dual battery.. Did take any pictures of your installation?

dadsaway

Seaman Apprentice

I do not have any pictures of the installation and the boat is under wraps for the winter. I generally start working on the boat in early April and I can try the pictures thing then if that helps.

Great, I would appreciate that..
For sure its it feels better to have the batteries separated on port and starboard side from weight balance point of view..
But is their any restrictions about having the battery next to the fuel filling system? OK you have the box covering the installation so it's not directly exposed .. Have you used cables with area >= 25mm2 in order not to loose battery power?

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

There is a rule about distance from fuel fill to battery. Don't remember what, maybe 24" but don't use that, someone else will know for sure. Whatever your current batt cable size is will be fine unless your going to run them a long way, like over 10 foot or so.

dadsaway

Seaman Apprentice

I was not aware of any restrictions regarding the installation of the dual batteries and I certainly wouldn't want you to do anything dangerous. That being said I had posted a request on this forum and a member, tiki35, generously responded and was very helpful (check the archives). His reply included that his Trophy came with the dual battery set up and perhaps it was a factory option. Being the ever budget concious person (dare I say cheap), I simply went to my friendly marina and sifted through some used stuff and came out with battery cable and the MBSS. The switch was a heavy duty one and my own common sense fellt that the cables were more than adequate. My greatest concern was to insure that the positive terminal of the starboard battery was well protected from contacting the metal shelf support of the oil tank. Height restrictions would not allow for using the plastic cover that comes with the West Marine battery box. It will be going into the fourth season and I am more than confident with the installation, but I have to plead ignorant to proper codes and specifications. Wish you well, hope this helps, and feel free if I can assist you further.