1991 Trophy 2003 Livewell intake pump

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdavid56

Recruit
Hello folks-new to this site. I have been given the task to bring "alive" an older Trophy CC. So far the systems have been functionable; all, but one-the livewell intake pump. The '91 version has the pump under the deck below the drain fitting on the port side fishwell. Obvious why Bayliner changed this design with a quickness. I can barely reach the pump much less see the thing to determine the manufacturer. All signs lead to motor failure and would love to change the thing out while in place. I can't feel any tabs on the motor housing to push, but this could be due to the tight fit between the fishwell and port stringer. My question is does anyone know what brand of livewell pumps Bayliner used for the the intake side and has anyone made an access hatch in the fishwell so as to reach this unit. I have a feeling that a "new design" may be in order for the livewell raw water intake. Thanks in advance for any help you kind folks may provide.

O-fishal

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1991 Trophy 2003 Livewell intake pump

Sometimes something gets jammed in the impeller, Scales,twist ties, etc, and depending on the pump you can remove the pump motor and clear it out. DO NOT do this while the boat is in the water with the seacock open!!

jdavid56

Recruit

Sometimes something gets jammed in the impeller, Scales,twist ties, etc, and depending on the pump you can remove the pump motor and clear it out. DO NOT do this while the boat is in the water with the seacock open!!

...thanks for the in-water advice-be an interesting day on the water to say the least. It is hard to determine the make and model of this pump; it is original equipment and I would like to know what pump Bayliner used for the livewell intake on the '91 model year.
I suspicion I can't change out the motor, but would like to confirm this if possible. Thanks for the reply, this looked like a great site to learn about the boat.

O-fishal

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You dont have to change the motor... just clear the impeller if its blocked, I would check the wiring first with just a simple volt meter to make sure its not a fuse or bad ground.

jdavid56

Recruit

You dont have to change the motor... just clear the impeller if its blocked, I would check the wiring first with just a simple volt meter to make sure its not a fuse or bad ground.

...electrical checked fine to the pump; disconnected leads, wired direct to battery, pump motor doesn't show any sign of life. The only way to remove the pump is through the fishwell it seems, which of course means creating a new hatch. Bayliner dealer no help. New design with multi-operation valves may be in order. Appreciate the reply, I too thought loss of continuity or ground would be the trick, no such luck.

Monterey10

Petty Officer 2nd Class

During that period, Bayliner used the cheapest Attwood pumps. Most older Bayliner/Trophy boats should have the pumps and float switches checked closely.

On some of the older Trophies, there was a press in hatch, low on the outboard splash well. Flex tended to loosen these hatches and water would come pouring in. IF you have one of these boats, replace that press in hatch with a screw in hatch asap. While your at it, inspect the PVC thru-hulls. Many are sun damaged and cracked where the hose connects on the inside.

jdavid56

Recruit

During that period, Bayliner used the cheapest Attwood pumps. Most older Bayliner/Trophy boats should have the pumps and float switches checked closely.

On some of the older Trophies, there was a press in hatch, low on the outboard splash well. Flex tended to loosen these hatches and water would come pouring in. IF you have one of these boats, replace that press in hatch with a screw in hatch asap. While your at it, inspect the PVC thru-hulls. Many are sun damaged and cracked where the hose connects on the inside.

Craig, thanks for the reply; this is the info I needed. The older Atwood pumps didn't use replaceable motor cartridges, until the psunami came to being-s.o.l. there it seems. I will have to make an access port w/inspection hatch in the fishwell to replace this unit. Starting this project it became very apparent that all systems were in dire need of checking and or replacing.

Thanks for the info on the splashwell hatch; enough bilge water comes aboard as it is. All thru-hulls appear ok, but will probably be replaced with stainless. Steering rod/tilt tube maintenance hasn't been done in years. Do most '91 CC Trophies with Mercs need to have the engine dismounted to pull the bar thru the tube? It seems the tube is lower and abaft of the gunwhale access and not alot of room in between. Again thanks for the info.

Jd

Monterey10

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Every boat is different. It really depends on the width of the transom.

With an engine hoist, you can slide the motor on the transom or lift and twist it to get the rod in place. An engine hoist is the only way to go really. Hopefully, it will reach high enough.

Regarding SS fixtures, The ones made of Maralon are very good. Also, anyone with thru hulls should have cone shaped dowels or rubber expansion plugs that can be pushed into a faulty thru hull. (just fill the hole, bail her out and get in)

dave1133

Recruit

I have the same boat and of course my live well pump went out to. Could you send me a pic of the hole you cut in the fishwell to access the pump? Or post it on here. My email is amydave10@aol.com. Thanks!!!

Mattvallier

Recruit
I don’t know if you still have photos or the boat, but I am doing a remodel on this boat and need to work on the livewell too.

Status
Not open for further replies.