bilge pump replacement 2002 2052

wildemike

Cadet
Bilge pump wont turn on at the dash has anyone attempted to replace the pump looks like you have to remove front part of motor to get to it? any thoughts would be helpfull

Muttonchops

Recruit
Re: bilge pump replacement 2002 2052

I have no idea, but, since I have a 2001 2052, I'll be watching this thread. Good luck!

Monterey10

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: bilge pump replacement 2002 2052

Generally speaking, Most older Bay/Trophy's need work done on their pumps. I usually upgrade the pump size, fuse and plumbing. Float switches go bad after a few years. Helm switches can go bad. The wiring down in the water can rust away.

The bilge pump has a fuse back by the battery. The power is connected directly to the battery. This power source runs forward to the helm bilge switch and (Y's) directly to the float switch. The helm switch over rides the float switch (if it fails) The float switch should turn on the pump automatically when water is present. The bilge should be cleaned. Leaves grease and fishing line will cause pump failure. Salt water can eat up the wiring.

The last pump I replaced was under the Mercruiser engine. I removed the hatch over the fuel tank, which gave a few more inches of space to reach under the motor. A right angle screw gun is useful in these kinds of repairs.

My float switch was good. The pump was woefully under sized. I found a large pump that would fit under the engine w/o hitting the oil pan. I had to upsize the plumbing and thru-hull for this pump. I used the wiring on the pump to come up out of the bilge to a place where I found good ships wiring. Then, I soldiered it together.