gasoline smell

I just purchased a 2003 Trohpy 2352 Pro w/5.0 Mercruiser w/ 335 hours on boat and motor. The boat spent it's entire life docked on Lake Erie during the summer and on bunks during the winter. I live in Indiana and hauled it back home on a trailer, winterized it, closed up the cuddy and put it in the garage. That was a week ago. I went out tonight to get some things out of the cuddy and when I opened it up I got a pretty good wiff of gas vapors. This doesn't seem right. I used the boat 2 days before I bought it and did not detect anything like this. I closed up the cabin each night. The previous (and original) owner is a straight shooter and if there had been a problem I'm pretty certain he would have disclosed it.

My first thought is a leaking fuel tank but this is the first Trophy WA that I have owned I would like to hear what others have to say.

Thanks

barrettr22

Cadet
Re: gasoline smell

check to see if any fuel is in the bilge but it could be coming from many places like the filter the fittings the tank the carbs could be flooding if thats the case check your oil and make sure it dont have gas in it

Monterey10

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've fixed up several Trophys and will relate what I've found.

1) There was a bend at the fuel fill hose right at the top, which meant the fuel fill nozzle wore a hole in the hose near the top. When filling, it leaked.

2) My vent line fitting rotted away. It looked fine on the outside, but in fact, the vent hose was laying in the bilge. Gas occasionally splash out into the bilge.

3) I had a Rochester carb on one of my V-8 engines. They tend to get leaks out the bottom. So, the manifold and eventually the oil had gas in it. You could smell it. After you run it, Put your ear to the carb and listen for drip, drip drip.

4) I've had the fuel fill hoses crack up and leak.

5) There's always the chance the tank is leaking, but I believe the late model Trophy has a plastic tank.

6) It the boat has a kicker, and the fuel line has a Y, I would check it closely.

Good luck. Let use know what you find.

calvinator

Petty Officer 1st Class

Last year I replaced my fuel sender ontop of gas tank. The new seal didn't seal so well and when my tank is full of gas or sloshed around a lot, I'll get some seepage out the seal. Just that seepage (10-15 drops) will stink up the boat with the cover on it. Something to check....