96 Trophy 2352 bait well sump removal

Monterey10

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Okay, my 2352 has the fish boxes and bait well draining into a shallow sump box with bilge pump. The box tends to overflow and fill the bilge. I don't like the idea of salt water in the bilge.

I've climbed down into the cave and found the bottom of the baitwell. It seems high enough to allow a drain/Thru hull out the side of the boat. The one problem is that the side of the boat is blocked by a plywood box containing foam. (glad to see it) I'm thinking of tunneling through the foam, putting in the thru hull and back filling the foam around the new thru hull/bait well drain.

My only concern is the elevation of the thru hull on the side of the boat. It will be pretty close to the water line. I don't know how this will affect the gravity drain on the bait well. I know the existing pump splashes the water and seems to spook any bait surrounding the boat. So, maybe having the baitwell drain close to the water line will quiet this down, making us more stealthy.

Has anyone tried this project/retrofit?

Thanks in advance.

Monterey10

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 96 Trophy 2352 bait well sump removal

It appears that the best thing to do is to abandon the undersize, poorly draining factory bait well and put an Aqua World on the transom.