2 stroke oil for Optimax

albion2

Cadet
I have a new Trophy 1802 w/a with a Mercury 115 hp optimax o/b.What 2 stroke oil do you guys use when you cant get Mercury oil.And have any of you had any trouble using non Mercury oil.Thanks for any answers.

Attachments

• New truck 1 006.jpg
    New truck 1 006.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

1fishbone

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 2 stroke oil for Optimax

The "best 2 stroke oil" has been discussed TO DEATH.
Do a search for "best 2 stroke oil" or "best oil" (in quotes) you'll see what I mean.

FYI I live in the USA, I can find and like to use Quicksilver oil, even the local gas-n-bait-n-grocery store has it. Also Pennzoil too.

albion2

Cadet

I put best 2stroke oil and best oil in the search nothing came up.

JamNJ1955

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I bought West Marine Oil once when it was on sale, noticed that my 150 Merc smoked alot more. I asked the guy at WM why, he said that there are additiives for ALL outboards in their oil, where as the Mercury and Quicksilver oil only has the additives that the Mercury needs.

Hope this helps.

John

Monterey10

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There were reports that the synthetic Pennzoil made less carbon than the others.

mjhach

Cadet

On a technicially sophisticated engine like the Opti, I won't ever use anything other than the DFI oil recommended for Optimax by Mercury. It's cheap insurance against unforeseen performance troubles, lubrication based. I have a 2002 Opti 150 HP and it still works great.