Crack hull, hull reinforcement for kicker motor

seren

Cadet
Hello, I have a 2004 2002 Trophy with a kicker motor. The seam on the hull edge near the kicker motor was only glued together, not glassed, not bolted. So the seam is opening up. I checked with the dealer and was told that the crack is not covered by the hull warranty because the boat was not design to have the kicker motor installed there without reinforcement.
So I'd like to survey other Trophy owners who have kicker motor installed if they know about this and if you also have the hull reinforced? I had this boat for a bout 2 years, and this is how it came with. Thanks

Attachments

• CrackFromInsideDark.JPG
    CrackFromInsideDark.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 0
  • PortEdgeWithCrackLarge.JPG
    PortEdgeWithCrackLarge.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 0
  • CrackFromInsideLighted.JPG
    CrackFromInsideLighted.JPG
    107.7 KB · Views: 0

seren

Cadet
Re: Crack hull, hull reinforcement for kicker motor

If you have any comment on this problem that I have, I would appreciate it. Do you have a kicker motor? If you do, was the area reinforced? And if you have any similar problem? Thanks

Hugotoo

Recruit

I have a 2008 Trophy 2102 WA and I have a kicker bracket and motor near where yours is however it is outboard and away from this corner of the splash well. When I trailer the boat, I strap the motor to the boat between the cleat and the eye lower down on the transom. I have had no problems with this seam opening up. I don't think the design has changed that much, but I had the dealer install the kicker bracket and it is well outboard of the area of your bracket by several inches and the corner region shows no evidence of flexing at all.

Hugotoo

seren

Cadet

I have a 2008 Trophy 2102 WA and I have a kicker bracket and motor near where yours is however it is outboard and away from this corner of the splash well. When I trailer the boat, I strap the motor to the boat between the cleat and the eye lower down on the transom. I have had no problems with this seam opening up. I don't think the design has changed that much, but I had the dealer install the kicker bracket and it is well outboard of the area of your bracket by several inches and the corner region shows no evidence of flexing at all.

Hugotoo

Thanks. A few inches might make the difference. But as mentioned, I bought the boat with the bracket and motor already installed, so I don't know who did it. But still it's hard to believe that Trophhy did not anticipate people install kicker motor there and make it totally solid in that area.

A&W

Recruit

I have recently purchased a 1999 2002 with a 15hp kicker in the same area as yours. Mine has separated in the same area. The crack extends from the top of the plastic trim piece down to the bottom corner. Have you made any progress toward a repair? I have searched the internet for a while for others with this problem, but have had little luck. Did the dealer have any suggestions for a repair and reinforcement? I was thinking that once the crack was repaired in the fiberglass seam, and the plastic trim was replaced a piece of stainless angle mounted on the inside and outside of the corner might provide the needed strength. The angles would be through bolted essentially sandwiching the fiberglass corner. I have just joined this forum and have no experience posting pictures. I will take a few and figure out how to post them.