Just Purchased, 1993 2502

Hooked on Deanna

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My Trophy has twin 175 Mercs with even compression on all cylinders (101 +/- 2, Port & 98 +/- 2 Starboard). They start quick and idle good on the garden hose. She wasn't kept up but she is cleaning up nicely. All system work! I'm amazed! I had a 1989 2302 back in the 90's (Hooked on Deanna) and loved it. Sold it when I moved to SW Virginia and became a lake boater! I love the 9'6" beam and layout of the 2502. She has Salt and Fresh water washdown with a sink and 113 qt live well. The structure is solid. The bilge is epoxy coated and looks new! The 190 gallon aluminum tank is tight and all the electrical devices work!

I pass'd on a 1997 GW 228 because the dealer wouldn't move $1K to make the deal. He called me a week later to make the deal, but I was on my way to pick up "Hooked on Deanna II" Glad he tried to hold out!

I got her cheap on a consignment sale because the owner didn't want to fix a starter problem and wouldn't fix one of the engines so it would start. I figure I can't go wrong for a $6K cash purchase! Paid to have the engines fixed/check out before I purchased (gamble...but cost was a little more than a survey). If the engines were shot I walk away, but if not!!!!

This girl came with a Northstar 951XD, and Interphase Probe fish finder. These are mid 1995 electronics but they where state of the art them and are working find. A Uniden UM525 VHF came with it and I'm set!

It is true that Bayliner/Trophy didn't do a good job with the finish on their boats, but I'll fix that. She'll be cruising the Chesapeake in a few weeks and I can hardly wait!

Questions:

1. Anyone know what performance I should expect (WOT/Cruise/Fuel Consumption).

2. The engines were started with a portable gas tank because the boat hadn't run in 6 over 10 months. What should I do with ~50 gallons in the tank? I siphon'd some fuel and didn't see water but I'm not sure if the fuel is usable.

3. Any comments about the 2502 from the early 90's?

Thanks

Sea Schaul

Cadet
Re: Just Purchased, 1993 2502

I have the exact same boat with the same motors.

WOT approx 40 knots
Cruise approx 28 knots
Fuel consumption - don't know, sorry
Witht he fuel I would just make sure you have fresh fuel filters and watch closely. If the motors are not running smoothly, siphon the fuel.

My boat has a hardtop and enclosure. I have a 16 mile radar circa 1995, a Raymarine GPS of the same era. Both work very well. In addition I have two fixed VHF radios. There was a Loran C which I am replacing with an Eagle Fishelite 500c plotter/sounder ( need to get into the 21st century) and a Humminbird 3d fishfinder circa 1998 which works decently. I also carry a hanheld Lowrance H2OC handheld GPS just in case.

Everything on my boat works except for the pump that empties the holding tank when you are more than 3 miles offshore.

frankie g

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sweeet deal! Let's see her!

Hooked on Deanna

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Trailer not included...Before pics actually on the dealer's lot!

I have a list of things to do. But, as someone I remember reading in this forum suggested, I'm taking them one at a time. I'll post updates as I clean her up. I Look forward to hearing from others who have taken on a "project" boat.

Attachments

• Trophy1.jpg
    Trophy1.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Trophy5.jpg
    Trophy5.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Trophy2.jpg
    Trophy2.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 0

Sea Schaul

Cadet

Here's mine:

Attachments

• resizetrophyforumDSC00510.jpg
    resizetrophyforumDSC00510.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 0

ronj

Seaman

Very nice boat. All boats are projects always. Ron

frankie g

Petty Officer 1st Class

nice deal...good luck with her.

lyle

Petty Officer 2nd Class

sweeeet deal....we look forward to watching her progress...quick question-did you say she had a 190 gallon fuel tank ? I have a 2359 and they only come with an 87 gallon tank ( I won't make that mistake again), I dont know why they put a much larger tank on a boat only 1-1/2 to 2 foot longer....but reguardless of my problems, she looks beautiful...enjoy

frankie g

Petty Officer 1st Class

sweeeet deal....we look forward to watching her progress...quick question-did you say she had a 190 gallon fuel tank ? I have a 2359 and they only come with an 87 gallon tank ( I won't make that mistake again), I dont know why they put a much larger tank on a boat only 1-1/2 to 2 foot longer....but reguardless of my problems, she looks beautiful...enjoy

Hey lyle, I don't know for sure but w/ the option of twins and being able to go further off shore might be the reason. I wish my 2302 had a bigger tank, she hold 101 gals. but it would have been nice to have a 140-150 size. Oh well, what-a-ya gonna do! :)

JohnQ-FWB

Seaman

I have a 1995 2002 W/A and also had to recently replace the float sensor in my tank, and my fuel in the tank situation was much like yours, toooo long in the tank. Too may bends and angles for me to get a siphoning hose down the fill tube. If you look in front of the motor(s) splashwell on the deck floor, there should be a round (approximately 10" in diameter) "Pry Up" hatch. Pop it off and you are looking at the fuel tank and where that float sensor is located. They are very similar looking and functioning to the float in a toilet tank. The round plate you see has approximately 10 screws which holds the plate down. Unscrew them all, and watch out, they are very short and can escape in the darndest places. Be very careful loosening and lifting up the plate so you can save the gasket intact and do not bend/damage the float arm. I taped a clear hose onto a metal rod so that the hose was at the very bottom of the tank, ran it back and over the aft and siphoned like when I was a 16 y/o back in the sixties ;) It took at least a half hour so be patient. I am now running the lawn tractor, weed wacker, & rotor tiller on the suspect gas.

JohnQ-FWB

Seaman

Do you know that you can still download your boats manual from Trophy (Bayliner)???? Go to http://www.trophyboatparts.com/ click on 1993, next view click on your model number (on the left), wait until the pdf loads, then click on the diskette icon and you can save to your computer. I looked at the PDF of you Trophy, then double checked my 1995 manual. Neither shows the access hatch in the deck (floor).

Hooked on Deanna

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It does have a 190 gal. tank! I tried to get a siphon hose into the tank also. No luck with that. Was wondering if the engine fuel line could be used to siphon the tank. Remove the quick connect and attach an extension hose to get below the tank. You would think the fuel lines have pick-up tubes to the tank's bottom.

Great replies this is a great forum to network ideas!

Hooked on Deanna

Petty Officer 2nd Class

By the way...Sea Schaul, your Trophy looks awesome!

I have got to get a hard top. I'm actually thinking about making my own. I'm thinking that I could make a cheap mold that follows the profile of my bimini top (port to starboard). And, layup a fiberglass shell (sand and paint) that I could attach to my bimini frame. Does anyone know why this idea wouldn't work. I like the idea of being able to lower the top easily!

Sea Schaul

Cadet

HOD,

I don't think the concept for your top would be safe. I can tell you that I have cracks in aluminum supports in areas just from the pounding it gets from rough seas. You'd be surprised how much abus e they receive just from other boat wakes. In addition, any top that you fabricate would have to have enough fiberglass to take the pounding also.

You don't want the top falling on your head while you're under it.

Hooked on Deanna

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That's why hard tops have 2" tubing for support...So much for that idea! Anyone know where I can find a a hard top for my boat?

Sea Schaul

Cadet

I'd call some local boat dealers and see if they will give you a referral. Some will, some won't (they will want to make commission so they will tell you they can do it)

www.atlantictowers.com based in NJ, they even have pictures of their work on Trophy's.

Hooked on Deanna

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So I made the mistake of adding up the cost of my several trips to the marine supply store. I'm three weeks into this project and I've already spent $800 bucks on odds and ends (bottom paint, batteries, etc) as I dodge the rain and hide from the cool temperatures. A few of the purchases were for items I've always wanted like a dremmel tool. This tool is great for cleaning (corrosion) and polishing deck hardware. I have a few big-ticket items like an enclosure ($1600 from Leta's) and replacement cushions ($275 from Kim's Canvas) that I must have... Per the Admiral... It is obvious to me that I must prioritizes and accept the fact that I won't have this boat in a like new condition in a few months. She will be safe and sound and in good mechanical order. I fear that a few warm and sunny days will give me a bad case of boating fever! Please help me stay focused!