New Trophy Owner Needs Help

Cabochris

Cadet
Well, I am now the proud owner of a 1989 2302 Walk-Around Trophy with twin Force 125 HP outboards! I bought it online and now must pay the price! I just love the looks of the boat, but is in need of TLC and I have many questions.

There is no owners manual and I can see there will be repair access problems. As a Trophy novice can someone explain a few things? There are 3 large boxes in the floor. 1 in the middle near the helm and 2 on each side of the stern. Are all 3 Fishwells or Fishboxes? Why 3? Plus I thought they were self-draining, but now am reading blurbs about Fishwell pumps and macerator? I could not understand why there was a macerator switch on my panel, since there is no fixed marine head! So, does this mean I have a pump to empty the fishwells? Is the macerator associated with the livewell? I have electrical problems and just restored power to the switch panel/fuse box and so far only the wiper and cuddy lights seem to work. Many switches are not labled, but there sure are lots of wires. So it would be helpful for me to understand what my boat has for testing/repair purposes. An explanation on the workings/#pumps of the fishwells/livewell would be very helpful.

Then, how many bilge pumps do I have? I can see one in the stern through an access hatch. There is no hose attached. Is there another in the bow? And are both bilge pumps wired to switches on the panel? Plus there are several disconected hose lines- one each at the 2 rear fishwells. This will be a learning process for me and I have many more questions- but this is too long and enough for now. I am surprised how the former owner of this beautiful boat just let it go and appreciate all help and replies. Chris- Sequim, WA.

JohnQ-FWB

Seaman
Re: New Trophy Owner Needs Help

Sequim huh, Freshwater Bay here with a 1995 2002 W/A. You might try this link to the Trophy Website, it is for a 1993 but may be the same or very similar -- http://www.trophyboatparts.com/ Go to the Online Parts catalog and click on the 1993, follow it to the 2303 W/A. Go luck with those Force OB's, you'll probably need it, and start shopping for an Optimax, 175 and up. Are you into fishing??? If so, you may want to attend the next meeting of Puget Sound Anglers (PSA), North Olympic Chapter. Meets the 3rd Thursday of every month at the Methodist Church (Carrie Blake Park) at 6:30. You will find it extremely helpful. The January meeting is our annual fund raiser spagetthi feed and auction (lots of Fishing Goodies cheeeeeep). Bring your appetite and checkbook.

Another good source of Trophy / Bayliner Expertise is http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/ Lots of good info, tips, and how to's, plus most of the guys are more than happy to answer any of your questions, or at least know where and to who to refer you to.:D

Here is the link ( http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/gallery/album326 ) to my Trophy Photo album. Be careful as it might give you a lot of Trophy Mod's ($$$$) to try out on yours.

Cabochris

Cadet

Hi and thanks for your help. I have searched online with poor results so far. Those Trophy parts catalogs while helpful do not show half the parts for ID purposes. I even contacted a dealer to order several minor replacement parts based on those part numbers, and none were available.

I registered with BOC, but am still waiting for confimation to post my questions. I do not know why that is taking several days?

An 89 owners manual would help clear things up a bit. But a fellow and seasoned 2302 owner of similar vintage, sould be able to explain the workings of the live wells and fish wells/boxes. ie- there is 1 pump for the 3 fish wells... and there is a masserator pump for the live well... this is how you fill/use the live well... this is how to drain... my boat has 2 bilge pumps located...

That information would help me to test/repair pumps and drains on my boat. Eventually I'll get it figured out, but without help it will be a guessing game.

The Force outboards look like they have been to Hell and back! Really! But, I watched a video of the boat on the water. The motors seemed to run really strong slow and wide open. But I now know why there were no close up photos of the motors! I hope to get a few seasons out of them. They did start right up and as soon as our Siberian Winter storm passes, I will do a compression test to see what I have. I need to get everything working by spring for halibut. I also want to try my luck on the Canadian side in 09.

I am only interested in Utilitarian modifications to this hull. I have gone the expensive route before and discovered it does not pay to upgrade an older hull. One might as well buy new or a better boat from the start.

If in Sequim, stop by at White Cup Espresso (Coneheads) for a coffee on me. Chris.

JohnQ-FWB

Seaman

You might also try Bayliner Cierra's cause they and the Trophy's shared a lot of common parts. Your Trophy does not come with a Masscenator pump but just a normal old pump. The two rear fishwells are fishwells and common on all Trophys in how they are wired, plumbed, and pumped. The fishwell plumbing "Y's" together first and then into the pump. The pump is common and cheap and any bit of scales or fishing line and they freeze up. The access port (round about 10 inches in diameter) in front of the Motor Well gives you access. Cannot see much and you have to feel around to get the layout of the drain hoses and pump mount. As for the rear bilge pump, it can be accessed from the motorwell access port and you have to have a very long reach, it has tabs that hold the motor in position and it also twists just a bit. Take it apart and clean debris out of it. Each pump is operated from one of the dash toggle switches. Does yours have the old fashion glass fuses or the newer style blade fuses?

All in all just look at the 1993 2302 W/A diagrams in the manual. Yours should be exact or very similar.

One minor mod that is easy to install and cheap is to replace those worthless Perko scuppers with Rabuds (Cone and ping pong ball style) scuppers. They are exact sized replacements. If you don't, the perkos will let in water like it's going out of style and will fill up your rear fishwells. And that is a design flaw of all Trophys. If you look real close at one of my boats pics showing the rea set up of the main motor tied to my kicker, look real close at the scuppers to see what I am talking about.

Did you get a kicker trolling motor??? The 120 Forces will not idle down slow enough and will load up and foul plugs, i.e., motor running and starting problems.

BOC registration is slow because the site has been hacked by a lot of spammers. Email Schroomers (the Head Shed Admiral) and we will hustle your registration. Most of the "Already Solved Trophy Problems" are over there, yah just need to search for them.

Interested in Puget Sound Anglers????? Yep, it is a membership sales pitch. Twenty five bucks a year is the cost of membership and you get a copy of the monthly Reel News. A "Newspaper" style publication put out monthly that gives you the skinny on all things fishing in the PNW, and Washington State Fish Politics, very important to know what's going on.

PM me your email address and I'll hook you up with alot of other info. :D

JohnQ-FWB

Seaman

Forgot to add, Dallas & his wife at Anchor Marine in PA by Walmart are pretty good and helpful at id'ing parts and getting them. And this is a slow time of the year for them.

Are you at Coneheads on a regular basis?? Wife and I like to eat lunch at Hwy 101 dinner before doing Costco and were there yesterday.

Druta

Seaman Apprentice

Ok perhaps this will help as stated the two rears are fish boxes on your switch panes they are the second switches down one on each side for each box the box behind the seats is a live well for bait pump switch is the top right. it draws water in from below the stern access is through the rear round service hatch in front of your motors look to the right is standing facing the rear and you will see a pump to the right of the rear bilge pump it the one with the ball value. To see your panel with legible decals look at ebay like here under Item number: 200286997525 if its not for your model keep looking. Next you've been given some great advice trophy boats main web site look for the parts catalog then to the left click on manuals and they have a lot of diagrams for our boats. its a pdf file so be patient

http://www.trophyboatparts.com/Manuals/2352fv_99.htm

Owner of a 2000 - 202 FF wa

Druta

Seaman Apprentice

Hi John Q do the ping pong ball scuppers screw right onto the same holes as the perko's? as that's a thing I'd be looking into.

Cabochris

Cadet

John-Q, thanks again for all your help. This boat came from the East Coast and former owner did not really maintain it very well. Just a bit rougher than I expected. The video of the boat on the water sort of fooled me. I was told the former owner had a boatyard service engines for fishing this Spring- then unexpectedly he went on to The Happy Fishing Grounds. The hull is OK for an 89, but it's covered with bottom paint and a very sloppy job on the stern! But I enjoy working on boats and got the Trophy at a low price. As part of the deal I ended up with a new 2009 Aluminum Venture bunk tandem trailer below dealer cost! That just sort of happened. Well at least the trailer looks good! I do not expect the boat to look perfect, but do want things working right. I have owned all sorts of small fishing boats, including Whaler, GlasPly, C-Dory, Olympic, Arima and several others. All used and discovered things I did not like about each such as excessive pounding... but was surprised that I really liked a little 16' Bayliner Quartermaster. It handled the sea well and was rock-stable at rest. Sold it because it was too small for fishing and I am hoping I will like this Trophy too. I sure like the looks of it! Seems perfect for my NW day fishing trips. If I get everything running right I may add a radar arch for my JRC.

I will plan on your suggested scupper mod. The ones on the boat have been painted over! I have pulled the switch panel and may rewire with an aftermarket panel, or at least replace the weathered switches if I can find them. I received the boat just prior to the freeze. So I have had little time to work on anything. Most switches on my panel are not labeled. But one that is says masserator? Another blower? I wondered if perhaps the panel was changed out at one time and from another Bayliner? It might be easier for me just to rewire the systems I need with a new panel.

My days at Coneheads are Wed to Sat. But I am in and out alot during the week. Will think about the club. I wonder if Dallas works on Force? Can just hear him say Work on What! Chris.

JohnQ-FWB

Seaman

Hi John Q do the ping pong ball scuppers screw right onto the same holes as the perko's? as that's a thing I'd be looking into.

Exact Sized replacement, even the screw holes line up perfectly. Look at mine in that link to my photos on BOC.org. The picture that shows the rear of the boat, look right above the trim tab. I really don't know why Brunswick persists in putting those #%^&*( POS Perko scuppers on Trophys, the price of the Rabuds probably would add less than $10 to the total price of the boat. Here's an online line and picture of what they look like ( http://www.duskyonline.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=sea-scuppers ) I am a Ahem, a bit heavy and when I walked to the rear of my 2002 WA, the fishwells would fill up in less than a half a minute, now they stay dry.

JohnQ-FWB

Seaman

I will plan on your suggested scupper mod. The ones on the boat have been painted over! I have pulled the switch panel and may rewire with an aftermarket panel, or at least replace the weathered switches if I can find them. I received the boat just prior to the freeze. So I have had little time to work on anything. Most switches on my panel are not labeled. But one that is says masserator? Another blower? I wondered if perhaps the panel was changed out at one time and from another Bayliner? It might be easier for me just to rewire the systems I need with a new panel.

My days at Coneheads are Wed to Sat. But I am in and out alot during the week. Will think about the club. I wonder if Dallas works on Force? Can just hear him say Work on What! Chris.

This eBay Link is for Great Lakes Skipper ( http://stores.ebay.com/Great-Lakes-Skipper ). He stocks a lot of the old bayliner/trophy switch panels, plus a bunch of other stuff. Dallas at Anchor works on all brands, I believe he and his mechanics are certified merc/omc/johnson/evinrude/force/yamaha.

Cabochris

Cadet

JohnQ- You have a nice looking Trophy! How involved is changing out the scuppers? Just the screws and sealant, or more such as fittings to change? I'll have to take a closer look at mine today. Will require some paint removal to get at the screws!

Also, why did you mount your Cannon downrigger on such a tall pedestal? I will be installing the same downriggers on mine... that is as soon as I decide for sure where to mount them!

I sort of figured the 125 Force would not troll well. But what do you think about a trolling plate on one of the motors? Spark plugs might still foul? I do have an older 15 hp Merc 2 stroke I bought from Dallas a few years ago. It runs great but I would have to install a bracket. My guess is that it would best be mounted on the port side. But on my boat I would have to move my battery switch on that side. On the other side I would have to move the trim tab resevior. Both would be in the way of bolts. Then I would add an oil injector like you have. Had that set-up before and loved it for the 15!

I feel better knowing Dallas services Force. If my motors have good compression- and I suspect they do, then it will be worth working with them for now despite their looks.

Druta, thanks for your help too. Your switch id locations migh save some time for me. So far I have not been able to locate a replacement factory switch panel for my 89 2302. Even from GLS. I sent them the part number and their reply was to look at their photos for a match- no such luck. I guess I will inquire with a few dealers next- then either work with mine, or customize an aftermarket replacement.

JohnQ-FWB

Seaman

JohnQ- You have a nice looking Trophy! How involved is changing out the scuppers? Just the screws and sealant, or more such as fittings to change? I'll have to take a closer look at mine today. Will require some paint removal to get at the screws!

Just 4 screws per scupper, and you don't have to mess with sealant. The new Rabubs utilize the old Perko Base.

Also, why did you mount your Cannon downrigger on such a tall pedestal? I will be installing the same downriggers on mine... that is as soon as I decide for sure where to mount them!

Just picture a fishing rod in the rod holdings, all bent over trolling the Garbage Can hole and a chinook hits it and trips the downrigger clip, you run back to the rod and get it out of the holder. At that height, it is exactly the right height when you reach for it, not higher or lower, but just right. Being naturally lazy and retired, I have time on my hands to think about all those small details. I don't know exactly how your trophy is physically laid out in the back. On mine, I have permanently stored those worthless jump seats up in the attic of the shop. Instead, I carry a rubbermaid cooler that has a ruler molded in the top, along with a removeable seat cushion. I position the cooler in front of the motorwell. That way, noboby unbalances (by their weight) the boat by sitting on one side of the other, but in the middle. Plus lunches and drinks are handy, good place to put a tackle box on when messing with tackle, and it is small enough not to get in the way of opening one of the fishwell hatchs when yah need to stuff a chinook or three in them. :D

I sort of figured the 125 Force would not troll well. But what do you think about a trolling plate on one of the motors? Spark plugs might still foul? I do have an older 15 hp Merc 2 stroke I bought from Dallas a few years ago. It runs great but I would have to install a bracket. My guess is that it would best be mounted on the port side. But on my boat I would have to move my battery switch on that side. On the other side I would have to move the trim tab resevior. Both would be in the way of bolts. Then I would add an oil injector like you have. Had that set-up before and loved it for the 15!

Couple of thoughts. First, forget about the trolling plates. Folks typically forget they are in the down position and take off lickity split and break them. Get a set of sea anchors. Whole lot cheaper and work just as well. We vacation on the northern end of Vancouver Island at Alder Bay Resort and RV Park. We had the boat moored at their marina and a Noobie was trying to back his boat out next to us and gunned his motor, hit our kicker, and it broke off in 30 feet of saltchuck, gone forever. Garrlick broke like a cheap suit. We had to spend the next week and a half trolling with the 150hp merc using the sea anchors bought for 10 bucks a piece. As for a kicker bracket, above all stay well away from those cheeeeeepAzz POS Garrlicks. There is only ONE kicker bracket that works and that is a OMC Bracket. Brand New (if you can find them) they are over $450 :eek: Don't let that scare you away. I had a Garrlick, did I say they are worthless??? Well I periodically scan eBay using "OMC Bracket" as a search term. Bid on a few and lost, but one time I bid on the one you see in the pics of my boats for $70 and another 10 for shipping and WON!!!!! I would recommend getting an OMC Kicker bracket and use the 15HP Kicker. I have (somewhere in the shop) a merc handle extension you might want initially. That system you see tying the kicker to the main motor is called an E-Z-Steer Rod system. Made somewhere in the Seattle area and it sure makes trolling easy and comfortable sitting in the helm seat out of the rain, drinking a Barley Soda.

That's the whole Problem with Trophys, they are an excellent starting platform that you keep on modifying/adding to ($$$$$$$$$$$'s). Mine is a 1995, almost 14 years old and I am still messing with it much to the chagrine of my Better Half who Really Owns the Boat -- I Don't!!!!!!! and that is another interesting story :rolleyes: By the way, have yah seen any 175HP Merc Optimax's for sale cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep????

I feel better knowing Dallas services Force. If my motors have good compression- and I suspect they do, then it will be worth working with them for now despite their looks.

He is in the process of rebuilding a 1994 150HP Carb'ed 25" Shaft length merc now, and will be for sale soon.

Cabochris

Cadet

JohnQ, tried working on the boat today- nothing going my way! I discovered a trim Bumper leak and will bid on a used full trim system in a few minutes on ebay. It is off the same year fresh water motor. I think I better try to win it as I bet they might be impossible to find. Hoping I will be able to use parts off it, or perhaps Dallas can replace the entire piece. But I think the motor will have to be removed for that to happen.

Also tried to get my trim tabs working- oil seemed low so I added a bit in the tank. Tried working the unit and blew the rubber fill hole stopper off! Found the stopper and it did not seem to fit tight in the tank fill hole. Pushed too hard in fading light and now the stopper is in the tank:(

I'll now have to take unit out and see if I can fish it out? I do not know what brand the system is (blue top), but I am not looking forward to replacing the entire system. If I had to, I hope I could just replace the pump/motor, as it might be a bear to remove the old tabs on the stern?

I guess I'll have to make an appointment with Dallas to talk about some things after New Years.

Cabochris

Cadet

Oh I forgot to ask... you feel the OMC kicker bracket is better than those Garelick HD 4 stroke motor brackets that support some 170lbs? Or are you talking about a cheaper Garelick model?

I have no plans for a 4 stroke kicker on this boat for now, but the OMC would not handle a 4 stroke if I ever did? But the OMC sounds perfect for my 15 and the last thing I want to do is fight with my bracket while fishing!

I did win the ebay auction last night for the full trim/tilt assembly at a high price. Several others wanted it and I figure I can sell the unit again if not needed.

JohnQ-FWB

Seaman

Stay away from all of the Garrlicks. I think that even the expensive HD Stainless one had a recall. The OMC new one that is listed on eBay for $679 is way too expensive. Wait and search for a used one. Should not be a problem to get a good used one for less than $100.

JohnQ-FWB

Seaman

Here is ( http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/gallery/album326/Utility_Rack2 ) one of my Cheeeeeeeeeeeeper mod's that is very handy. It is a 3 tube rod rack (Fentress) that I mounted to the outside of the cuddy cabin (The Walk Around deck area). I put my landing net, boat hook, and Halibut Harpoon in it. That way they are number one handy and easy to get to, and number two, they are out from under foot and in the way when you don't need them. Pretty easy modification to do also.

JohnQ-FWB

Seaman

Went to Wally World last week and I think I saw your Trophy at Anchor with the motors being worked on???? I hope the news was not tooooo bad or very expensive :( Details :cool:

Cabochris

Cadet

Yes that was mine. Dallas first did compression tests on both motors and found them to have wonderful compression. So we went ahead and serviced both. Seemed like there was no end and I took a good hit, but both motors run real good now. Both with new impellers and thermostats too. While they may look ugly, they should last a few seasons.

Dallas said some other fellow brought in the exact same year 2302 Trophy with 2 Force 125s, the day after I did. One of his motors was good and the other shot. So I guess this guy had 2 new honda 115s put on- that sounds very nice but must have been expensive!

If I ever repowered mine, Dallas thought I should go to 1 larger motor. But for now it's the 125s.

My work has just begun. I replaced the 4 scuppers and trim tabs/motor/switch. I will also rewire the 2 batteries and switch so that when off, nothing has power. I just ordered custom marine cables for that. I'm planning on 2 new Interstate deep cycle batteries and will also install a 10 amp onboard charger/maintainer. The Cabe--s outdoor store still has them on sale for under $100 online! Next I am going to replace my bilge pump and mount kicker bracket/fuel line for my 15hp merc. Have all that on order. From there I'll move forward and see what/if anything works on my switch panel. Not looking forward to that! If I have to I'll wire in a new custom panel.

I'll have to test the music radio and replace small in-dash rusted Midland CB. Also mount my VHF and sounder/chartplotter and Cannon downriggers. Then I'll have to do some pump/plumbing investigative work! I still have no idea how things should be on my boat with fish wells, live well... Most of the lines have been removed and I do not know if I will get/find access to repair. but first I'll have to figure out exactly how things are supposed to be.

I have decided not to do anything cosmetic for now. First I want to make everything work so I can go fish! Later on I'll tackle some cosmetic projects.

I may cut some bigger holes in my deck for access and fit with watertight hatches? We'll see. Later I'll add a new top and radar arch/radar. I really like the boat. C.

JohnQ-FWB

Seaman

Yes that was mine. Dallas first did compression tests on both motors and found them to have wonderful compression. So we went ahead and serviced both. Seemed like there was no end and I took a good hit, but both motors run real good now. Both with new impellers and thermostats too. While they may look ugly, they should last a few seasons.

Dallas said some other fellow brought in the exact same year 2302 Trophy with 2 Force 125s, the day after I did. One of his motors was good and the other shot. So I guess this guy had 2 new honda 115s put on- that sounds very nice but must have been expensive!

If I ever repowered mine, Dallas thought I should go to 1 larger motor. But for now it's the 125s.

My work has just begun. I replaced the 4 scuppers and trim tabs/motor/switch. I will also rewire the 2 batteries and switch so that when off, nothing has power. I just ordered custom marine cables for that. I'm planning on 2 new Interstate deep cycle batteries and will also install a 10 amp onboard charger/maintainer. The Cabe--s outdoor store still has them on sale for under $100 online! Next I am going to replace my bilge pump and mount kicker bracket/fuel line for my 15hp merc. Have all that on order. From there I'll move forward and see what/if anything works on my switch panel. Not looking forward to that! If I have to I'll wire in a new custom panel.

I'll have to test the music radio and replace small in-dash rusted Midland CB. Also mount my VHF and sounder/chartplotter and Cannon downriggers. Then I'll have to do some pump/plumbing investigative work! I still have no idea how things should be on my boat with fish wells, live well... Most of the lines have been removed and I do not know if I will get/find access to repair. but first I'll have to figure out exactly how things are supposed to be.

I have decided not to do anything cosmetic for now. First I want to make everything work so I can go fish! Later on I'll tackle some cosmetic projects.

I may cut some bigger holes in my deck for access and fit with watertight hatches? We'll see. Later I'll add a new top and radar arch/radar. I really like the boat. C.

Chris,

This Thursday evening (6:30) at the United Methodist Church is the monthly PSA meeting and you are more than welcome to attend!!!! This meeting's speaker will be very appropriate for some of your upcoming Trophy ToDo's. The guy from Waypoint Electronics will be presenting on "How to get your Boat in Order" from winter storage. He is very knowledgeable regarding boating electronics, especially the NMEA stuff, and as always, questions and answers are available, so bring yours.