Triumph Boats? Good or Not?

silverblade

Cadet
I am looking around for my first boat. I am trying to find a boat that will be good for fresh and saltwater that is safe and requires minmal maintenance. :D .Right now it looks like the Triumph(formerly "Logic")190 Bay boat is my best choice. But I haven't found any one that has had experience with one to ask how they liked it...I would love to hear from some people that have had one of these Roplene boats.<br /><br />Thank you :) <br /><br />Michael

D

DJ

Re: Triumph Boats? Good or Not?

Silverblade,<br /><br />THe jury is still out on these. I agree wholeheartedly on the concept.<br /><br />If anyone can make a go of it-it will be Genmar.

wimpie

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Looked at them at the boat show and really liked them, but also couldn't find anyone that has one to find out if they liked them or not. They look like they would be good for any kind of use though.

silverblade

Cadet

That's the main problem I have. They look like they should be OK, but can't find anyone who has had one for a while. On the good side, I have never seen a used one for sale.

Chester

Recruit

silverblade, what did you decide to purchase. I am also looking at the 190 Cool Bay and unless I find something to make me change my mind I am going to purchase one this weekend. The only people that I have found that don't like them are the ones that don't own one. I have seen a few replies from people that on a Triumph boat and they love them. I am just tryin to decide what size and what type of motor to put on it.<br /><br />Chester

kellyjoe

Recruit

I purchased a 2002 triumph sportsman for duck hunting and fishing. I have a 40hp mercury four-stroke tiller handle motor. It is the best open skiff style boat that I have ever owned. There are few things to get used to. You cannot use regular marine adhesives on the boat. It also seems that screws have a hard time holding in some areas of the boat. It really is basically a trouble free inexpensive, good riding boat. For the relatively inexpensive price, the boat comes very well equipped with a bilge pump, lights, cushions etc. ps. the hatches are not waterproof!

ggraycar

Cadet

I purchased a Triumph 190 Bay with a 140 Suzuki DFI 4-stroke June 02, now have 70 hrs. I have been told that I must of been a genious to come up with this combination. AM NOT!! but here is my conclusion: PRO: Super soft and quiet ride - Tracks excellent and handles rough water with aplomb - Spacious interior - Tight, no ratttles - Virtually indestructable (bounced off square concrete piling 15MPH absolutely not a mark) - Easy cleanup - And of course the other advantages of the ropolene one peace construction. CON: Hull must be supported well on trailer or on lift (no strap lift) due to designed give - no deck lid supports. CONCLUSION; Love the boat, and oh yea! Put this boat in the mix and it gets all the attention!

EMC2

Recruit

I can confirm the positive Triumph experience. I bought a 190 Bay with a Suzuki 140 in May 2002 and I have really enjoyed it. I even launched it onto concrete with my wife's help and didn't even scratch the hull! I have added a removable salt water series Minn Kota 101 up front, Garmin 168 GPS. I have trailered it alot and run it in fresh and salt. Pretty good flyfishing deck as well as light ski craft. Fairly dry running boat but wouldn't take it in over 4' seas. Alot of boat for the buck. It does need better horizontal rod holders. I agree that you MUST adjust your trailor supports for this boat correctly, so don't expect the dealer to get it right!<br /> The suzuki is super quiet, smooth, smokeless and great on gas so I doubt you'll hear too many neg stories about them. Here's one. They are expensive to have serviced. $120 oil change. But if that's all I ever will have to do and only once a year, maybe, I can live with that. It has yet to not start on the first try without choke. Reliability counts.

ERR446

Seaman Apprentice

Saw the smallest boat Triumph makes at a dealer's show room with a hammer to wack it. Unfortunately one whack caused a crack. Another boat dealer claimed to go thru their factory. His comment was that their process doesn't result in a uniform thickness. Wondered if that was why I saw one crack? :confused:

hahart

Recruit

That's the first time I have heard of one cracking!! That's the thing triumph dealers like to do at boat shows.....whack their boats with sledge hammers!! If only one cracked, then it's still a pretty good record. I don't hear of any fiberglass boat dealers whacking their boats with sledge hammers. Hit a dock, bridge, knock the boat off the trailer, it doesn't matter, it is still a hell of a lot stronger than fiberglass. So their are some waves in the hull, I'll sacrifice it for durability (and the boat still looks **** good) By the way, I own a 210cc triumph, and I take it in rough seas, have even driven it to the bahamas, I would never buy a fiberglass boat of comparable size again. You will have a triumph for life...lifetime hull warranty, all you have to do is re-power!!

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

A friend brought her Logic (Triumph) up from N Carolina last week to go boating with us. Guess she felt she owed us as we have taken her and her sons out numerous times in our Baja's. Hers Logic is a 17' with a Merc 60 hp. We all traded around driving and riding in both boats and from my experince riding in and driving her Logic I wasn't at all impressed. <br />The whole hull flexes like a limp potato chip when in minimaly rough water, really strange to ride in something that feels like it is constantly trying to mimic the double helix of DNA. No matter how I (or anyone else who was driving) trimmed the outboard it constantly ran in a bow plowing condition...this was with only 2 people aboard. Most of the trim was useless as the prop would ventilate like heck if trimmed up.<br />It felt as if I as riding in a really cheap white plastic bowl from Big Lots.<br />Most of the fittings and hardware looked as if they either had come loose and been repaired or were in the process of doing so.<br />Would I ever purchase one?<br />Doubt it. To squirrely for me.

SeaDawg

Chief Petty Officer

It's been a while for this one, any new Triumph owners out there?<br /><br />I'm seriously looking at getting the 210 CC next spring.

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

So all the great things :rolleyes: about Triumph/Logic I mentioned prior really sold ya, Huh?<br />Go to HomeDepot and purchase a big black plastic mortar tub. Same effect.

SeaDawg

Chief Petty Officer

Bomar76, actually, your post did help to sell me a little more. <br /><br />According to your post, your friend owns a Logic, and I'm looking at a Triumph. No comparison.<br /><br />They (Triumph boats) are light years ahead in their boat designs now, from the first boats produced 14 or so years ago. Just being able to survive and stay in business for 14 years is saying something these days. <br /><br />And getting even better, from owners of the newer boats, and from what the factory engineers and boat dealers are telling me.<br /><br />I'm not trying to pick any fights, all I want is to hear CURRENT information from CURRENT owners (2002 and 2003 owners), to see the likes/dislikes.

JGL64

Cadet

I own a 2002 170DC w/70 HP Yamaha. We have just ended our second season of use and have just over 100 hours on the engine. It may not be the prettiest boat out there as some have stated, but to date, we could not be happier with our purchase. We (wife, 3 kids, 120# black lab) use it for fishing, tubing and day trip exploring the local lakes, rivers and bays at the Jersey shore. And...yes the dog does like to tube.<br />As some have pointed out, it handles slightly different that a glass boat and does not have that shiney sleek look that appeal to some. However this has been my experience:<br /><br />Purchase cost was relatively low as compared to a like fiberglass model, ie. not making payments on something that has to sit on a trailer 4-5 months of the year.<br /><br />Lighter than a fiberglass boat, ie. not pressed into upgrading to an SUV to tow, again allows me to save some cash.<br /><br />I can let the kids learn how to handle the boat and be comfortable just about any cosmetic damage they do is easily fixed. We have had one or two mishaps while they learn and all has been made to look like new with sandpaper and a heat gun.<br /><br />NO WAXING......after a days worth of saltwater fishing only 1 hour cleanup: pull into a car wash, spray it down, wipe it dry, clean up and treat the seat cushions, wipe the hull down with a plastic preservative and it looks like new...honest.<br /><br />Lastly, I have had some minor issues that needed attention from the dealer and or Triumph. (thru-hull fitting leak, cosmetic hull damage from shipping) Both my dealer and Triumph have been extermely customer focused. Any issue that I have had has been resolved to my satisfaction with no hassels.<br /><br />Sorry for the long post, but you asked for details from an owner and I thought this might help. My only regret...should have got a 190 or a 210!

SeaDawg

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the post, JGL64. You gave me your opinion, and it is much appreciated.<br /><br />I am an engineer, and functionality and durability are more important to me than looks, for a fishing boat. (My opinion, I'm sure others differ) The Triumph factory has been VERY responsive to every question I have asked them, and always given the the honest answer, not the most popular answer. So far, I have a high degree in trust in what they tell me too.<br /><br />Two different "semi-local" dealers are arranging me to get together with prior 21' CC customers, to arrange a test ride and pick their brains on likes/dislikes.<br /><br />So far the "likes" are winning with me. I have not seen any 21 ft. CC with as much built in storage as the Triumphs. And I like the lifetime hull warrenty of the Triumph's too.<br /><br />Anyway, thanks again, and I hope other Triumph boat owners respond too.

GIL1961

Recruit

bought a 2005 bay 190 in june 2006. been fishing the crap out of it.. love it. its a fish catching machine, so quiet. i was on the ca. delta last week in 2ft wind white caps, throttle up, like riding on glass. any more, though and you gotta chill. like fishing the shallows ? with an 11 inch draft, been throwing swimbaits till i'm blue. havnt tightened any screws yet. dont have a garage for the boat? ya dont need one. it got dirty? get the hose and some dish washing liquid. went to bodega bay and loaded the big fish boxes in front. so easy. you like bassin? slapped a minn kota long shaft 24vlt bow mnt.. perf. oh yea, my dog loves it too.. beach it anywhere, get washdown pump. youll never feel cramped on this boat, 8.5' beam walk around. get the t-top, its great to hold on in the salt, and youll never get burned,...16 pole holders...,came with a sweeeet ez loader with liquid bath bearings , self centering bunks...kik ass radials ..easy.
if you want to spend more money on a real purty boat, thats fine. but if you just want to fish your ass off and not have to worry bout scratchin it, this is it. oh yea, it even has a ski pole for the kids. the suzuki 140 is the sweeet. super quiet, ,,,........

Jan Z

Seaman Apprentice

Good for you Gil... I've had my Triumph since 2005 and have fished it pretty hard up here out of Eureka. I'm happy with mine and have not had any problems other than a couple of screws in the deck loosening up after a pretty good pounding I gave it.

I use a little cheapo 1600 psi electric pressure washer and simple green on my rig and keeps it sparkling like new.

Unlike some I'm real happy with mine. :)

caviar

Recruit

hahart said:
That's the first time I have heard of one cracking!! That's the thing triumph dealers like to do at boat shows.....whack their boats with sledge hammers!! If only one cracked, then it's still a pretty good record. I don't hear of any fiberglass boat dealers whacking their boats with sledge hammers. Hit a dock, bridge, knock the boat off the trailer, it doesn't matter, it is still a hell of a lot stronger than fiberglass. So their are some waves in the hull, I'll sacrifice it for durability (and the boat still looks **** good) By the way, I own a 210cc triumph, and I take it in rough seas, have even driven it to the bahamas, I would never buy a fiberglass boat of comparable size again. You will have a triumph for life...lifetime hull warranty, all you have to do is re-power!!