Anybody know anything about Triumph boats?

b.gagnon

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Anybody know anything about Triumph boats?

They used to be called logic boats, They are very good boats.

2005 210 CC. It is a 21' center console. I am looking at buying one an dhave read on the triumphowners.org page. Was just wondering if anybody over here has any information.<br /><br />Thanks for your input.

HeadHunt

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What are you planning on using the boat for, small lakes or salt water?<br /><br />HradHunt

HeadHunt

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I do not have first hand knowledge except I have looked them over at the dealer and I have been in one at the lake one time. It seems that most owners are happy. I would have a hard time accepting the plastic one piece construction issue but that is me. I asked saltwater or freshwater because boats take more beating in saltwater. The general concensus among salt water anglers on other forums is these boats are very low on the quality list but I think some of that comes from people having the same concerns I would have. It does sound like the hulls have held together OK. When I looked at Triumphs, I just thought they looked cheap compared to several other brands I looked at. If it fits your budget and you like the boat then go with your gut feeleing and the heck with what some others think.<br /><br />Good Luck,<br />HeadHunt

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

tarheelborn66 - How does the price compare to the least expensive glas boats? Such as Angler, C-Hawk, Cape Craft, Key Largo, May Craft, Palm Beach, Pro Sport, Sea Boss, Sea Chaser, or Sea Fox.<br /><br />Kelly

Kelly - The price for the boat is about the same as the lower model glass boats. right at 24,000 with the fishing package.<br /><br />Here is the link.<br /><br /> http://triumphboats.com/boats/210cc.htm <br /><br />What really caught my eye about them was that Sea Tow purchased about 200 of them to use in their fleet and from what I have been told they will be renewing their contract with Triumph in 2006.<br /><br />I got some really good information from the triumph owners site but I wanted to come over here and ask about it.<br /><br />I haven't bought one yet but I am going on a sea trial today to see how it rides. Basically with the boat, electronics, a 150 yamaha and all the standard and extra in the fishing package, tax registration everything for $28,500.<br /><br />The factory is over in Durham, NC and I went over there this week to check it out.<br /><br />I am just a little apprehensive about a Polyethylene (plastic) boat but have not really heard anything too negative about it. Also, the fact that Sea Tow is using them kind of impressed me.

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

Except for beauty contests, I have no problem at all with the poly hull. At least for modest speeds. Poly bottom RIBS have been around for a while. Nor do I know any owners with a Triumph. However in monitoring numerous message board threads I do get the sense that the screw loosening problem has still not been fixed 100%. So for heavy use I would be inclined to stick with a glas boat. In spite of the Sea Tow deal.<br /><br />Kelly

HeadHunt

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Originally posted by tarheelborn66:<br /> <br /><br />What really caught my eye about them was that Sea Tow purchased about 200 of them to use in their fleet and from what I have been told they will be renewing their contract with Triumph in 2006.<br /><br />
Are you sure about this. As I read it, Triumph gave Sea Tow "one" Triumph 190, not 190 of them, to try as a service for their fresh water lakes. Most Sea Tow businesses are privately owned franchises. The two I have dealt with buy their own boats.<br /><br />HeadHunt

HeadHunt

Petty Officer 2nd Class

tarheel,<br /> Not trying to derail your decision but if you are really searching for a offshore boat, I would do alot more research. The thread below would be enough to scare me away. Hulls getting full of water. Fish boxes that drain into the bilge. Customer service telling owners to drill holes in their transoms to "drain the foam". Cracks in the hull. I see alot of good used offshore boats for the money you are talking about. You can get a new Sea Hunt Triton for 36k, a decent midteir off shore boat. I am only suggesting you do somemore research.<br /><br /> http://www.triumphowners.org/forums/showthread.php?t=699&page=1 <br />or<br /> http://www.triumphowners.org/forums/showthread.php?t=620 <br /><br />HeadHunt

Thanks for all the input. That is why I asked on this forum.

HeadHunt

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Another happy Triumph owner posted this:::<br /><br />"wont ever own another Triumph. Nothin personal like some would like to believe,, just business! Use this sites search function and you'll see what I had to say about them. And if you need more info, just email me, I'd be more than happy to answer any and all questions about the 210, 215, 191, 190, 186 <br /><br />From 2000 to 2006 they are the same hulls, made from the same molds, using the same material, with only "cosmetic" changes to shore up the sides and back end of the hull on the 210 to try to reduce the amount of flex of the material, but they are the same no matter what year not matter what someone tries to tell you. Call the factory or contact them they'll tell ya the same thing! (that's if you can get a reply from them.....) <br /><br />For 2006 they only put more lipstick on the pig, I.e. NO changes to the hulls, and just put on heavier stainless bow rail, pedastle seats with arm rests, added a couple more cup holders,,, but still NO transom drains, fishboxes still drain into the bilge thru itty bitty holes that one squid tentacle could block up,,, and oh,, cant forget the engineering feet for the new model 215 with the "fu-gu-gu-gu-guuuuh".... divin' board deal they slap'd on the front of a 210 hull (wha-la we'll call it the 215!) <br /><br />The reason they went with the heavier and thicker Ttop and bow rail deals is, because them boats flex so much they literally crack ttop welds, they couldnt figure a way to "shore" up the hull from flexin other than, hey, let's put on a heavier Ttop. Also, screws pull out of the material (only sheet metal screws cinched down into plastic.... yeah, that holds really good... NOT!) Triumph still has refused to make changes to "improve" on that have been known issues, such as, hulls with the structural foam holding water making these boats heavier and heavier over time, refuse to factory install inner hull drains. Poor livewell design (unless yer purposely tryin to kill live bait...), Structural flex issues, Nothing is "thru-bolted" just sheetmetal screwed in. I think only the cleats have molded inserts, bow rail, hand rails, floor hatch assy's and all that are just screwed into the material..... uh.. . I'm done,, you'll see using the search deal...... the list literally goes on and on... <br /><br />The good thing about them is they discontinued the blue/gray colors of the cushions, you can smack them all day with a bat and the boat wont crack (unless you know where to hit it.... and yes, the material does crack and split, not only on mine but on alot of others), and you can ram docks and sea walls with it... You dont have to wax it or wash it, yet every Triumph owner can tell you a billion ways to clean one, get the black mold out of the materials pores, which pressure washer brand to buy, and other good stuff... <br /><br />I had a 2001 210cc and had problems with it. <br />Dealers are still buying Q2 (quality 2) boats with defects and selling them, so BEWARE!!!! <br />I know of an incident just last week where the factory made a deal to a local dealer on a new damaged boat, just so they can get rid of it (I.e. the factory that is....). Keep up the good work Troublesom,, er I meant Triumph!! <br /><br />Buying Triumph? Beware, there's alot of other boats out there for better $$ and quality. Remember, same hull boat they used to sell for new a few years back for $17,999 with 150 motor and dual axle trailer as advertised.... now with all that lipstick they put on it,,, it's worth at least $26,000 now!! <br /><br />There's a Triumph boat owner site (just do a web search) you'll find them, browse thru their posts, search this site for "Triumph Boats" as well The Triumph mafia would be on my heels if I didnt mention that or give them a chance to "sell" the boat to ya.... <br /><br /><br />here's a sample of what Triumph owners talk about: (ref. taken directly from owner site) <br /><br />Nick Taylor <br />Member Join Date: Jul 2005 <br />Location: florida <br />Posts/Thanks: 25/0 <br />Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts <br /><br /><br />Inner Hull Drain ????? <br /><br />-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- <br /><br />Hi All <br />I did the inner hull drain to my 210 yestarday. As Triumph instructed me to do. One inch in the transom. This hole is full of hard foam nd all I'm getting is a steady drip. It's been dripping for two days now. Is this the way it's going to happen?????? Theres no where for the water to gather due to the solid foam. Just DRIP DRIP DRIP........... <br />__________________ <br />GETTERDONE II <br /><br />Nick Taylor <br />View Public Profile <br />Send a private message to Nick Taylor <br />Send email to Nick Taylor <br />Find all posts by Nick Taylor <br />Add Nick Taylor to Your Buddy List <br /><br />#2 07-07-2005, 11:39 AM <br />LSUTIGER1947 <br />Member Join Date: Nov 2004 <br />Posts/Thanks: 17/0 <br />Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts <br /><br />Thats all mine does drip, drip, drip. GEAUX TIGERS! <br /><br />LSUTIGER1947 <br />View Public Profile <br />Send a private message to LSUTIGER1947 <br />Find all posts by LSUTIGER1947 <br />Add LSUTIGER1947 to Your Buddy List <br /><br />#3 07-07-2005, 03:56 PM <br />Putershark <br />Captain's Club Member <br />Moderator Join Date: Nov 2004 <br />Location: Florida <br />Posts/Thanks: 187/0 <br />Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post <br /><br />Our old 210 streamed out water for like 3 days (I had installed 2 drains) and then dripped constant for weeks from what I recall. Then again, it had a lot of water in the hull and I could walk on the deck inside the mega hold and hear it squish around under my feet. "<br /><br />If I get a chance i'll get some pics of a Triumph this weekend that will make you not even consider one. It is a "new" 17'er, maybe 18' that is at a scrap yard on the road that leads to our lakehouse. The boat has a huge gaping split in the foward port side hull, just below the water line. This occured while sitting on the trailer, no dammage was done to cause it. The boat was derigged by the dealer, and sold for scrap per triumph instruction.

bubbaboater

Seaman

We have a 190DC Triumph and like the boat very much. We would buy a 191FS if we had the money.

hiflyer

Seaman Apprentice

I have a leftover 04 sold in oct 05 as new<br />You name it its most likely been fixed. Or needs fixin. In shop or out of service awaiting parts repairs for 159 days. thats 5 1/3 mo of the 7 1/2 I have owned it. Electrict switches, breakers, wires,fuse holders. Gauges gas, trim, both bad senders.<br />Both engine control cables. seats all, seat bases all, steering wheel, steering cable rack system, all replaced all defective.<br />Bow droops 1 1/4 inches due to improper?trailer support? thats todays story maybe?? <br />ride em cowboy after hitting a wake keeps bobbing unless you cut back to slow speed and repower up to speed. Buy asprin large size You might need it. Good attorney might come in handy to. Just my opinion

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Well, remind me not to buy a Triumph. That is enough info to settle anyone's mind on one.<br />IMO.

Jan Z

Seaman Apprentice

Don't beleive all the tales of woe you hear about the boats they are not all bad in spite of what some loudly whining people would like you to think. <br /><br />I own one and it's not been a problem, granted there are people out there that have had problems with a few but you can find problems with any boat if you look around.

hiflyer

Seaman Apprentice

So tell me Jan Z why the New Help Desk at the triumphowners.net "site All problems are to be made to it". After a SEPERATE login from your 1st site login. 2 levels of sight security to see problems. <br />Why?? they do not want the brosing public to know what the truth is. Only the Fluff open to all no sign in required.

Jan Z

Seaman Apprentice

I have no idea, I've posted about problems and never had to go through that.

Possibly you are a special case since you've spammed at least three boards on the issues with your boat and the board management and it's members probably just got sick and tired of your carping.

Like I said I own a Triumph and I like the boat, I had some minor issues but the dealership and or Triumph stepped up to the mark and things were taken care of.

If it's so damn bad why haven't you hired a lawer to get things fixed if you feel you are so much in the right?

Or better yet just get rid of the boat and get something you'd be happier with.

You come off sounding like a guy if he was given a 50 pound bar of gold would complain it's too heavy.

Personally I'd love to hear the dealerships side of this little tale...If I get bored I just may make a few calls,