Livewell Operation-2000 TR186

mcbass

Cadet
Hi everyone,
I own a 2000 TR186 that I bought new. For the first several years I never used the livewells. Over the last year or so, I've begun tournament fishing, so I use the livewells often and am experiencing an issue that could be operator error.
In Maine, tournament rules set by the State say that the livewell must be operated in a manner CONSTANTLY exchanges livewell water for fresh lake water. Use of timers to do this is not allowed. Lot's of folks do not follow this rule because it is a severe drain on a boat's battery and for the fact that, from what I hear, lot's of rigs aren't configured for this type of operation. I was under the impression that my Triton was. My livewell swithches are two of the rocker types. One is for "AUTO" and "MANUAL" and the other is for "RECIRC" and "PUMPOUT".
I assume that the "MANUAL" position is the mode that operates via the "continuous exchange mode". It is a little confusing, because it is also the switch that I need to use to fill the livwell up before use. It is my understading that if left in the "MANUAL" position, the livewell will fill to a certain point and then overflow out somehow, automatically. I think that I have seen it do this successfully on several occassions, but can't be sure. Lately, (last 3-4 tournaments) when left in the "MANUAL" position, the livewells have been overflowing into the side compartments and boat's bilge. Is there something wrong here or am I not using the system correctly somehow.
Thanks for taking the time to read this over and help me out if you can!

Regards,

M.C.Bass
www.mcbass.com

wfee

Recruit
Re: Livewell Operation-2000 TR186

Just wanted to say i just bought my o1 tr 186 and was wondering the same thing. Does it also have another button by the pumpout i have four on that side and the first one from the stering wheel doesnt say anything wondering what it does also.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Sounds like the overflow, back into the lake is stopped up or has came loose or has got a hole it it somehow.
But you are correct, that is how they are suppose to work.
They fill to certain level and then go out the overflow.

You should also have a small knob next to them switches some where for the auto part. That would be the timer.

jumpinjimmie

Recruit

I just bought an 05 TR186 and am not smart enough to figure out how to keep water out of the livewells. Can anyone tell me how to set the rocker switches or something else to keep them dry while in the water?

Additionally, there is a triangular-shaped handle below the passenger seat that connects to a strap. The strap will come out about a foot when pulled, but will not stay out and I can't figure what, if anything, it opens or closes. Please help.

beelakebandit

Recruit

jumpinjimmie the only way to keep water out of your livewells is to put the plug in it. The pumpout wont get all the water but most of it. As for the strap under the passenger seat, its a release for the seat. Pull it hard and hold it, then the seat can be pulled up and forward. It's kind of tricky to get the seat latched again but lots of junk can get around and under the seat.