Tracker Topper 1542 Motor Height

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsteverson

Recruit
I have a 15x42 Tracker Jon boat I bought new last year. I installed a 9.9 Johnson on it and noticed a issue where if I turned hard left I would get the spun prop effect, I marked it and took it back out. Off with the prop and everything still lined up. So last year I just dealt with the issue by not turning hard left issue solved. Well about a month ago I bought a 35 hp Johnson. Took some time to have a shop go threw the lower unit so it would pass a pressure test and got it back last week. Long story short I took it out Friday and had the same issue only it happens when going strait once on plane. Off with the prop marked it took it back out. Checked it, lines still lined up so I ruled a spun prob out again. Now I'm puzzled, The bottom of the boat lines up with the cavitation plate and when I was out I tried all the trim settings with no luck at all. Seems like the best setting is the one closest to the transom. Still I noticed right before it happens I'm planed out and increasing throttle to a little over half way. The cavition plate is pretty much even with the water line. I'm not sure if this is really normal but it almost seems like the motor is mounted to high because you can almost see the prop before it skips and starts reving up higher in RPMs. Seems really weird to have two different motors with the same type issue. Am I over looking something? The transom is strait on the top where the motor mounts I've noticed some are cut kinda like this ------\____/------- At this point I'm lost and really dont know what to try next. Ideas and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Capt Ed FWC

Recruit
Hi Guy, my apologies for bothering you but, I have the same problem you had with your 1542, did you find out what the problem is/was.. I started with a 20Hp Merc thought it was the motor and lived with it, Just bought new 25 Yamaha four stroke and problem is worse, would appreciate advise you may have. Thank you Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.