shaft length?

slimesbro

Recruit
last year I bought a 95 Tracker Tournament Pro 18 without a motor. I found a motor later that year. it was a 90 70hp Evinrude long shaft that only lasted 20 minutes on the boat. center cylinder over heated and killed it. over the winter I rebuilt the motor. now that I have it back running and on the boat I'm have issues with cavitation / ventilation. some have told me it needs to be lowered. I have it as low as it will go on the transom. today someone said I need a jack plate to attempt to lower it. not sure what to do now. at this point I'm wondering if I have the right shaft length.

any help would be greatly appreciated...

I just want to go fishing with a reliable boat...

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander
Re: shaft length?

looks to be about the right height, maybe the hub is spun:confused::confused:

Bifflefan

Commander

I would say (like above) to check the prop hub.
then git rid of that tail (white thing) or what ever is bolted on the lower unit. You could be lifting the stern of the boat right our of the water.
Post a couple more pics of the back if you can.
The height looks about as high as you ever want to be, but I don't thinks its to high.
A jack plate will raise the motor, not lower it.

slimesbro

Recruit

I've checked for a spun hub and that's not it. I've also had issues with and without the white tail.

I would be making the jack plate, so I would make it to lower the motor. I would be able to lower it a few inches.

What angles of the boat would you like to see. I'll go have a photo shoot session if it helps.

slimesbro

Recruit

I was told to try transom wedges to bring the prop closer to the boat.

anyone think that will help?

slimesbro

Recruit

Thanks for what help I was given, but for those reading this with the same problems. It turns out I had to shim out the motor. Shimming the motor put the prop about 1" closer. I left the white tail on (it made no difference I could tell). Hope this helps others with their problems.