Motor Mounting Pod Failure on Fisher Marine pontoon boat -Freedom 240 DLX- rated

Harry Matz

Recruit
Below is what I would consider a manufacturing design flaw/error on a Tracker Marine pontoon boat.
The boat is a Fisher Freedoom 240 DLX with a 125 hp Merc outboard mounted on it. The boat is rated for a 135 hp outboard.
I want to get the word out to boat owners to check their motor pod mountings bolts.
My biggest concern is that this will happen to someone else and they will not be so lucky and someone will be seriously injured or worse loose their life in a roadway accident when this same thing happens to another unknowing owner of a poorly designed/manufactured boat.

I was traveling to Lake Monroe & when I stopped to pick up bait I noticed that 4 of the 8 motor pod mounting bolds had pulled through the corss braces on the bottom deck of the boat. I was horrified that something like this could happen. I very lucky the motor did not fall off and KILL someone while I was transporting the boat!

There were no washers on any of the motor pod mounting bolts top or bottom. I am wondering why there would not be washers on someting that is under as much stress as a motor mount pod?

(I have pictures of the motor mounting pod showing the bolts pulled through the deck brace & bolts with no washers, if any one would like to see them. too large to post.)

I sent the following to the manufacture & their response is also below.
(By the way, I have received no response to date on my request for the manufacturing, parts & design specifications.)
How do I get these specifications?

I have since had the boat repaired & the motor pod mounts reinforced and added WASHERS to all mounting bolts at my expense, since the manufactures denied any wrong doing.

===THIS IS THE BEGINNING OF E-MAILS TO MFG=====
Sent: Friday, November 04, 2005 8:29 AM
To: Lisa Horton (ljhorton@trackermarine.com)
Subject: FW: Mfg Defect for motor pod Serial# BUJ12798J899

To: Tracker Marine Representative (Boat Manufacturer)

RE: Motor Pod Mounting failure

Please use this e-mail as the formal request to have a resolution to the Design/Manufacturing defect on said boat received by me no later then Friday 11-11-05 12:00 noon.
If resolution is not received by requested date further steps will be taken.

Please be advised I am making a formal request to have the following documentation related to design/manufacture of the said boat sent to me by 11-11-05 12:00 noon.
Information being requested is in the attached Word document.

Thank You,

Harry B. Matz
===========This is the contents of the document=====
Date: 11-04-05

TO: TRACKER MARINE representative (Manufacturer of boat said boat,

RE: Failure of Motor Pod Mounting on 1999 Fisher Freedom 240 DLX fish pontoon boat Serial# BUJ12798J899

Please send me any documentation related to the design/materials/part specifications used to manufacture the Motor Mount Pod & attach it to the said boat. Also incoming & in process inspection standards & records related to the manufacture & assembly of the Motor Mount Pod & assembly to boat decking of the 1999 Fisher Freedom 240 DLX fish pontoon boat Serial# BUJ12798J899 for the following.

1) Support Rails used in attaching the motor mount pod to the boat decking/frame work.
2) Bolts, nuts, washers, spacers, etc. used to attach the motor mounting pod to the decking frame work.
3) All Parts/Materials used to manufacture the motor mounting pod, to include all supporting rails & transom.
4) Bolts, nuts, washers, spacers, etc. used to attach the motor to the boat mounting pod transom.
5) All design & testing records showing the design & stress capability of both the motor mount pod & any parts attaching it to the boat.

Respectfully,
Harry B. Matz

Home mailing address:
================
Sent: Wednesday, November 02, 2005 8:48 AM
To: Lisa Horton (ljhorton@trackermarine.com)
Subject: Mfg Defect for motor pod Serial# BUJ12798J899

To: Tracker Marine Representative (Boat Manufacturer)
RE: Motor Pod Mounting failure

This e-mail is in response to the motor pod mounting failure on my 1999 Fisher Freedom 240 DLX Fish pontoon boat.
Date Pod Mount Failure was discovered: Sunday 10-30-2005 at approx. 10:00 am. Noticed pod mounts had failed when I went around to remove the straps & yoke to ready the boat for offloading into Lake Monroe.
Date Pod Mount Failure was reported: Monday 10-31-05 approx 9:30 am (Was reported to both Point of Purchase Ted’s Aqua Marine which referred me to Tracker Customer Service

It does not appear that the motor pod itself failed.
The failure appears to be where the pod was mounted to the underside of the deck cross bracing.
NOTE: There are no washers used on any of the bolts used to mount the Pod to the deck bracing of the boat.
There are washers used on the nut side of the bolts that hold the motor to the transom of the pod.

Attached you will find pictures of the failed engine pod mounting.

I am confident that Tracker Marine manufactures a Quality Product, wants to uphold their reputation for manufacturing a Quality product and will stand behind their product reputation & correct this defective motor mounting pod.
I am very Thankful that the pods design/manufacture did not fail completely & fall off of its mounting to deck causing serious bodily injury to an innocent bystander. This could have been very damaging publicity to the Tracker Marine’s reputation for manufacturing a quality product line.
I will be glad to assist Tracker Marine further in resolving this issue as needed.

Please advise me of Tracker Marines position on the Pod Failure at your earliest convenience.

Thank You,