1987 Thundercraft Citation Trolling Motor

kspain

Cadet
Hi,

I'm new to the forum, and I'm so glad I found this site. I recently purchased a 1987 Thundercraft Citation (bow rider) 17ft. It's in excellent condition--interior and exterior. I want to use this as a fish/ski boat, therefore I need to put a trolling motor on it. What kind/size/thrust/shaft do I need to get? It has the wood planks in the bow of the boat. Is it going to be hard to bass fish out of this boat?

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Attachments

• th_Thundercraft002.jpg
    th_Thundercraft002.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 0
  • th_Thundercraft006.jpg
    th_Thundercraft006.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 0
  • th_Thundercraft007.jpg
    th_Thundercraft007.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 0
  • th_Thundercraft009.jpg
    th_Thundercraft009.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 0

rszanti

Recruit
Re: 1987 Thundercraft Citation Trolling Motor

kspain -

I haven't been logged in for a while, missing your question. If you're still interested, I have a 1986 I/O Thundercraft which we use almost exclusively for fishing. I purchased a 14lb thrust trolling motor to use on a 10 foot john boat. Having nothing else, I used it to push the Thundercraft around. In a wind it was almost useless but on a calm day it better than trying to use the Mercruiser. It was mounted off the ladder deck at the rear which is not the best location. A bow mount would have worked much better. Based on what we experienced, a 40lb thrust or up would also have been much more useful. I've been looking at 50lb thrust units from Motorguide but need to come up with a few dollars :D

Hope this is helpful
Richard