1960 johnson super seahorse running issues

bubba360

Recruit
hello and thanks for this site ,very helpful . But I am still haveing issues with my 40 hp super seahorse .. I bought it at a garage sale and new nothing ... After looking at it i noticed it had new points and coils ... still wouldnt run... I pulled the flywheel of and noticed a sheered key way on the shaft , So i replaced and it fired rite up but ut is very tempermental .. I am haveing fuel mixter problems and running issues now ... It is back firing ,missing and smell like gas bad . Noticed Gas dripping out the carb . It seemed like a good buy , but is giving me a headache ..Trying to find info is hard on such an old motor . Dont get me wrong ,I have had it on my boat that i got for free. been fishing all the time but seems i use my elec trolling more than the 40 hp. does anyone have any thougths on what my be the problem and what is factory lean and rich ,high and low speed ajustments .. If i spend any more money on this boat my wife will throw me in the lake and sell the boat lol thankyou :rolleyes: