Q7i feels like I could tip over in turns...?

saintv90

Seaman Apprentice
My boat doesn't want to turn when I've got the wakeboard tower on. I have a Big Air H20 rack, and whenever the rack is on if I turn the boat hard it literally feels like it will flip over. It does this with or without pulling someone behind the boat. It becomes really annoying when you are wakeboarding/skiing and someone falls. I have to bring the boat off plane, turn, than speed up again to go get them. Is this normal because the tower is so heavy? Or is there something wrong with the boat. It definitely doesn't feel right and actually scares the passengers quite a bit. I don't notice it as much when the tower is off the boat, which is the majority of the time, so I'm hoping it's only because of the tower...but I'm also hoping I can find something to help remedy this. Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!

Here is a bigger picture of my setup.
DSC_0736.jpg

Last edited:

AgentJ

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Q7i feels like I could tip over in turns...?

Depending how much weight is on the tower or how much the tower weighs, it will raise your center of gravity. Be carefull. how many people to you have in the boat when this is doing it?

PrinceValium

Chief Petty Officer

You experience this still with your smart tabs deployed???

Last edited:

saintv90

Seaman Apprentice

Usually 3-6 people are in the boat when we feel this.

saintv90

Seaman Apprentice

You experience this still with your smart tabs deployed???

Yeah. When I replaced my prop with the four blade the guy who recommended it thought the prop would hold better in corners and possibly eliminate the problem. Definitely did not. I imagine its just the weight of the tower...but wanted to hear if other q7 or q6 owners with towers have a similar problem.

On the water

Cadet

We have a Samson razor tower and, while the lean when turning is more pronounced, the boat still feels stable. If you did a more sweeping turn (even at full throttle) would it lessen the effect? From your picture, it looks like the tower is taller than ours, which may be part of the issue - as AgentJ said, it will raise your center of gravity.

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

My boat with a heavy factory tower turns deep in the water but I wouldn't call it "feeling like its going to tip over". If you are behind the windshield of the boat you can reach down and touch the water without leaning over when turning hard. And actually the if the tower weight was an issue wouldn't it push the boat to the outside of the turn? Trim position also makes a big difference.

Last edited:

saintv90

Seaman Apprentice

We have a Samson razor tower and, while the lean when turning is more pronounced, the boat still feels stable. If you did a more sweeping turn (even at full throttle) would it lessen the effect? From your picture, it looks like the tower is taller than ours, which may be part of the issue - as AgentJ said, it will raise your center of gravity.

If i make a wide sweeping turn it generally digs in if I'm going fast. Trying to turn quickly is where the problem is.

saintv90

Seaman Apprentice

My boat with a heavy factory tower turns deep in the water but I wouldn't call it "feeling like its going to tip over". If you are behind the windshield of the boat you can reach down and touch the water without leaning over when turning hard. And actually the if the tower weight was an issue wouldn't it push the boat to the outside of the turn? Trim position also makes a big difference.

Im almost always trimmed all the way down because of this issue. Plus we start and stop alot so dont want to constantly trim up and down.

BoatDrinksQ5

Petty Officer 1st Class

if you are really trimmmed all the way down...that makes my boat handle funny ... not sure if that would really cause the feeling you're mentioning.

tpenfield

Staff member

Maybe make a slightly wider turn and drop speed somewhat. See how that goes. Keep in mind that it is not necessarily a performance boat, so it has its limits.

On the water

Cadet

Like others who have commented, it sounds like a degree of turn issue. It is entirely possible if you are making a fast, hard turn at speed that either (or both) the outdrive or the strakes are grabbing and adding to the stability issue.

BoatDrinksQ5

Petty Officer 1st Class

Might want to readup on some of the recommended procedures for turning around on various wakeboarding sites...

Many recommend and mention pro's of slowing down and then turning around at slower speed, and returning to rider on same path, to keep wave noise along a single axis. No banging or splashing on old wake...etc

Hard to change habits on driving /turning/pickup.... but worth a try

saintv90

Seaman Apprentice

Might want to readup on some of the recommended procedures for turning around on various wakeboarding sites...

Many recommend and mention pro's of slowing down and then turning around at slower speed, and returning to rider on same path, to keep wave noise along a single axis. No banging or splashing on old wake...etc

Hard to change habits on driving /turning/pickup.... but worth a try

I hear what you guys are saying, and certainly appreciate the feedback, but I've been driving boats for 20 years. This is a new feeling that I've never experienced in a boat before. When turning around, whether it's pulling someone behind or not, I struggle with being able to turn the boat around without practically flipping the thing. If it was warm out I'd take a video of the experience for you. I was hoping to hear from other Q7/6/5 owners who see similar problems. It sounds like no one else has this problem...so I have to assume it's due to the heavy wakeboard tower that must make the boat top heavy. Could something like this happen if there is water stuck in the hull that won't drain? Any other reasons? I like leaving the wakeboard tower on the boat because I like the way it looks...just hate the way it performs.

PrinceValium

Chief Petty Officer

Have you tried your tabs on the second or first setting and see if it helps you during those quick sharp turns?

On the water

Cadet

I'm sorry you are having this problem - it certainly can't be any fun. With respect to water in the hull, it would have to be a significant amount but it could lead to instability if it all goes rushing to the turn side of the boat. How heavy is your tower? I would surprised if it was the weight, it likely isn't any heavier than ours when we have wakeboards on the racks not being used and speakers mounted to the cross-members. How do you distribute weight within the boat when turning?

saintv90

Seaman Apprentice

Have you tried your tabs on the second or first setting and see if it helps you during those quick sharp turns?

This is a great idea that I had not considered, thanks! I will definitely try this next season!

saintv90

Seaman Apprentice

I'm sorry you are having this problem - it certainly can't be any fun. With respect to water in the hull, it would have to be a significant amount but it could lead to instability if it all goes rushing to the turn side of the boat. How heavy is your tower? I would surprised if it was the weight, it likely isn't any heavier than ours when we have wakeboards on the racks not being used and speakers mounted to the cross-members. How do you distribute weight within the boat when turning?

I would guess the tower is 200lbs. I dont have speakers or a place to mount the wakeboards...so now your making me think its not the tower. Gotta be something else then...

As for weight distribution all skis and wakeboards are in the center under floor storage. All other items are in the storage under the dash. On a few occassions I've had the front seat "coolers" filled with ice and beer. That might have added to the problem. Otherwise everyone is sitting in seats, generally in the back.

Last edited:

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I also keep my front loaded with ice and drinks so I don't think that would be a an issue. My only problem with hard turns is cavatating the prop but I really have to turn hard and fast to make it happen. My factory tower looks much heavier than yours so I really don't think the tower is the issue but if it only does it with the tower on it must be a factor. Yours is mounted a little further forward than mine but I have seens tons of them that way. It's also mounted a little higher but doesn't seem like enough to matter.

Hashi

Chief Petty Officer

As others have mentioned, sorry your experiencing that problem. I have a factory tower which is mounted further back about where the v-hull starts to taper off. It appears that you may have yours mounted too far forward. I'm no expert but perhaps you should take it to any boat dealer and have them assess the installation. Also, the factory tower isn't that heavy. I'm able to take it off and put it back on by myself. I would estimate it to be about 75 - 100 lbs. Good luck!