Jensen Radio Issue

BoatDrinksQ5

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well had my first radio malfunction issue....

It doesn't respond to button presses, and/or it appears that some of the buttons are stuck pressed ON (rpt and rdm for example).

Anyone seen this ? Might be related to a HEAVY rain with boat outside... not sure.

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Jensen Radio Issue

Sounds like a water issue but whatever device you have covering the radio should be waterproof so you need to investigate that also.

BoatDrinksQ5

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well it is their "marine" radio....and it had the cover down also.

I guess i'll give it a little time to dry out.... UGH!

bellhop

Seaman Apprentice

The buttons are rubberized, they can get caught underneath the plastic that surrounds them. Just pick 'em free with your finger nail. If the power button is stuck like that the radio likely won't turn on until it's free. Been there.

BoatDrinksQ5

Petty Officer 1st Class

I thought the same thing, while on the water i tried picking all the buttons out - didn't seem to be the culprit.

A few hot days in the garage - fairly dry and windy - and problem is gone :)

My guess that some moisture got in there during the storm. Anytime something is "marine" yet it requires a slash shield...makes you wonder. lol

Hope the problem doesn't resurface

--on a side note - anyone know what the little tiny button is on the bottom left (need like a paper clip or mechPencil tip)? reset? cd manual eject?

Last edited:

theBrownskull

Chief Petty Officer

That small button is a reset. I used it after my boat was caught in a heavy rain storm and filled it full of water. The radio dried out and worked just fine. They are good radios and can take punishment better then the more expensive ones. Plus you can call the company direct and speak to a tech. or an engineer about problems. The buttons do stick when "swamped" just pull them back and it will be just fine.

BoatDrinksQ5

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the heads up on the tech support and the buttons.

Does anyone do anything to protect their stereo? Seems like that cover should work just fine...

wonder if it has a drain internally in the event some water does get in.

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Mine stays dry when closed on the few occasions it has seen rain and when I wash the boat. I can't say the same about the glove box however.

MelloYello

Cadet

Just a general note about electronics from an electronics guy:

Most stuff gets fried when wet because components get shorted and damaged. If something gets wet, disconnect the power (turning it off usually isn’t' enough), and let it dry thoroughly. If you can use a fan or a blow drier to speed that process up, even better so corrosion will not form. Let it dry for several days at least. Just a little bit of moisture may zap it.

You'll be surprised what you can restore to proper working condition.