Tahoe Hate it or love it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jfannin

Cadet
Ok I'm sick of reading all kinda of mixed threads so I figured I would join the forum and just ask people that actuly own or have owned a Tahoe.

I've been around bass boats all my life, excluding the last 10 years and know the wife and I have desided to get ether a very nice lightly used boat or a new one. If it's new I plan on holding out till Jan. For the big yearly boat show. Is the savings actuly worth waiting?

I love the looks and layout of the Q5 Tahoe fish and ski. Its the size, style, and price that I'm looking for. The main question is, will a Tahoe last me for years and be reliable. I tend to maintain my stuff very well but I don't want something that I'm going to be working on though.

Plans: fish, ski, tube, wakeboard, and cruse around. Will have 4 small-mid size adults and a kid or 2 on the boat. Nobody in the family is all that big. 180lbs or less each. Can't realy see my kid growing up to bemuch bigger but then again look at the kids this days.

So thanks for any info on the Tahoe in general orthe actual Q5fs

Jfannin

Cadet
Re: Tahoe Hate it or love it?

Oh yah forgot to ask. Wanting to tube, ski and wake board with 4 adults all under 180lbs each and a child or two what motor, The 190hp or the 220hp? I know the prop makes a major differance but all in all would I really need the extra 30hp with the correct prop on the 190hp?

Also I'm unable to find and detailed specs on ether motor. Things such as each motors torque... Any numbers for this?

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

The Tahoe is not a Sea Ray or Wellcraft, but it's an okay boat. (You pay for what you get.) There are Tahoe's all over the lake I live on. It should do you for the long run--if you keep it covered and drain the engine before freezing weather.

Tahoe/Tracker has a single pricing system for all dealers, and they're pretty tough on prep and delivery. I don't know if waiting until January and the boat show will save you money, but you might can pickup last year's model at a discount. The boat shows are the best place to buy boats--as all the dealerships are in one place and they get more competitive there.

As mentioned many times on this forum, Tracker/Tahoe has a tendency to underpower their boats to keep prices down. If you can afford it, go for the 220 hp engine. You can look at specs on Mercruiser's website. The 4.3 motor is a very good powerplant for this size of hull. Either engine will be satisfactory, however.

marcoalza

Chief Petty Officer

I have only owned the one Tahoe but I love it.
Mine is a 2007 Q4 220Hp V6 which is now the Q5. The current Q4 only comes with 135hp unit and is shorter by a foot.
She's done 150 hours and is in excellent condition.
Very reliable, looks the part and is good for cruising with 5 adults, wakeboarding off the ski hook and sunbathing off the rear deck or aft seats.

Very easy to trailer around if thats what you'll do.

The only issue I have at the moment is the brake actuator on the trailer needs repair.
On order and waiting for the parts.

I looked at 50+ boats here before I bought the Tahoe and to be honest, I was not that impressed with the Sea Rays and others that were around.
Got this for a great price and no regrets.:)

grendelsniper

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I bought mine used and have had no issues I love it it has the 5.0 220hp I wanted the torq of the v8 also now I can upgrade to a bigger v8 and all will bolt on with no mods, other than taht it has been a great boat and I would buy another. I use it for fish ski and tubing it is a great all around boat that is why I went to tahoe boats.

BiggerDee

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I only have about 20 hours on my 2011 Q7i with the 220HP 5.0L (Carb) V-8, but I love my Tahoe. It looks great, the build quality is great, I'm very happy with the features and details, and I get a lot of compliments from other boat ownsers. I believe that it's a great value, and is worth every penny. I know that I don't have a ton of experience with it, but I have no regrets at all, and would recommend the boat to anyone. Hope this helps. Good luck!

brown_one

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i looked at a lot of boats before i bought mine. i needed it to tube, swim, n fish. the deck boat fills all those needs. i have the 195 with the 190hp. runs fast enough for the family but the larger motor would be nice. i like the deck boat mainly for the fishing. has platform up front for fishing chairs n one on the rear. already wired for 24 volt trolling motor. live well is a little small. haven't had any issues and i think a good all purpose boat.

maddog2112

Petty Officer 1st Class

06 Q6 5.0 fish&ski. Love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Just sold my 01 Q7 with the 5.7l. Mine was severely neglected when I got it 5 years ago, but we loved it. I gave it some much needed TLC, and it became a relatively good boat. I recently sold it, and in the process of buying another boat I took a Sea Ray 205 Sport for a ride. I have to say, the Tahoe was a much better layed out boat, and really rode similar. If I was looking at the 2 boats brand new I would get the Tahoe Q5 or Q7 over the Sea Ray, hands down, and the $15k price differance doesnt hurt either. Compared to my 90 Chaparrel, the Tahoe was clearly not as well built, and now I just bought an 08 Monterey 214 FS, and it is way nicer, but for the money you cant beat Tahoe.

If you look through a few threads you will find that the big issue seems to be poor upholstery material, and from seeing the leftover 2010s at Bass Pro Shops, I have to agree. The seats are all discolored and ripped on the stitching on brand new boats.

I would have bought another Tahoe had someone had one in stock. Bass Pro Shops wanted the same money for the leftover 2010s as for 2011s, but they had no 11s in stock. Paying the same for a year older boat didnt make sense to me.

fish hook

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have only had my 2004 Q4 F/S for 3 months, but love it. It has the 190hp V6 - plenty of HP for tube/ski with 4 adults and 2 kids. I did switch to a 19p prop for better hole shot. The extended swim deck is awesome - plenty of room. Also, my wife loves the large padded sun deck. The upholstery still looks new w/no tears, fading or stitching probs (135 hrs on boat) but maybe because it's always stored indoors??? The only knock is that I wish it had snap-in carpet. Was around boats for many years but this is my first - I can't say enough so far. Good luck!!

allzway

Cadet

We have had our Q5i for 3 years now and it has been awesome. It has the 195 4.3 V6 and has pulled anything we have wanted to and that includes four adults on two tubes at the same time.

There are definitely nicer boats on the lake, but for the money it may be hard to beat.

toolbelt1000

Recruit

I've had my 2008 tahoe q4 since july 07 and love.I believe that if you take care of it it will stay nice.Mine is garage kept & looks like the day I brought it home.With that said I would of liked the 4.3 better.I know alot about the 4.3 as my cars have them.putting smart tabs on by the end of the week.after reading the reviews on them I think I will be happy.

splicer

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'll sing along with the chorus. I love my '08 Q6 with the 5.0 220HP V8. It may not have the fit and finish of a boat that costs $15K more, but that just means that I don't get as worried about actually using it. We go and play all day, and I don't worry about chips on the floor, or cookie crumbs. The boat performs flawlessly (with the added smart tabs). I can cut hard at WOT and it won't chine walk on me. I've never had an engine problem. Basically love it. Go for the Tahoe and save the money.

kailec00

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am on the band wagon with the Tahoe. We love ours and run it hard. It is usually in the water twice during the week and both days of the weekend. Pulling kids on mulitiple tubes, pulling them on kneeboard and both kids and adults on the wakeboard. We have not had any issues with ours. The lake has been rough lately and it handles great, only thing is that the screws will get loose when the boat gets bounced around.
Go with the Tahoe and enjoy the boat.

jack_pine

Seaman Apprentice

OK, have read the entire forum. Not surprised at the earlier tone of some of the threads. Am involved in a F350 (2011) thread and there is a lot of negative stuff. I don't mind and take with grain as many people come to forums to talk about problems. Get that....

My question is: was there a time when there were a number of fiberglass cracking issues? Was is subsequently addressed? I am leaning hard toward a Q7. Going to make decision off season, maybe at Chicago boat show.

Kind of struggling with V6 or V8 220hp choice............

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I had an 01 and the only cracking I ever had was around the right console. It was purely cosmetic though. I did have some slight gel cracking up at the top of the left gunwale. It looks like something hit it though and it was repaired early on. Not a Tahoe issue I dont think. I have never seen an older Tahoe other than mine though.

greenhulk

Recruit

I have a 215 and only had it 5 months its been in the shop more then the water and cracking inside the storage front left, took it back to the steelership and they did nothing for meand some gel coat cracking in 2 corners never buy from that place again

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Oh and I always forget about Dad's 215 deck boat. He bought it new in 06 and has not had any issues at all. They replaced a carb the second year, but that is a Mercruiser issue, not really Tahoe. It still looks like brand new, like the day my Dad picked it up. No cracking, no gelcoat issues. Absolutely perfect after 5 years.

ZRguy

Recruit

I have an '07 195 deck boat. We love it other than (in my opinion) the useless sink. We only use it for storage, the boat's design would be much better with some type of storage in this area. There isn't a glove box of any kind in this boat and that would be a welcomed addition. I have the 190 HP motor and I do wish I had a bit more power coming out of the hole when pulling a skier with 5-6 people in the boat. I'm looking at a prop change to help a bit.

jack_pine

Seaman Apprentice

We are looking at the WT 216. The salesman was pushing that sink thing pretty hard. I told him it was useless to me. How does it work? Is there a fresh water tank?

I see no use for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.