Tahoe Hate it or love it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkust

Rear Admiral
Re: Tahoe Hate it or love it?

I know several Tahoe owners. They are popular because you get a lot for your money. Now add in that there is no differentiation in engines and there you go. The gist here is that you get what you pay for. You pay less for a certain thing compared to anothere similar but more expensive thing, you expect less for your money and go in knowing there may be some unusual issues with the build. Tahoe is the only builder/brand that advertises to the masses in the Sunday paper with a glossy ad. That tells you a lot right there. I see them all over the place and they aren't sinking and I see smiles on the riders faces. Do they care that their dry weight is 30% lighter or have plastic instead of SS or whatever. I'm pretty sure they don't. If you can't afford or can't see to spend a bunch more $ for the middle or upper eschelon, then Tahoe fits the bill. I'd take one over a BL, that much I do know. I do also know that I'd get a Tahoe over an overpriced/subpar/spartan/relies on the quality and reputation of their bigger models, Sea Ray. Interestingly, when I see Tahoes used, I have noticed that more often than not they have the MPI 4.3 not the carb 4.3. I can't explain it but have definitly noticed it.

jack_pine

Seaman Apprentice

Ok, stupid question. What does MPI stand for/mean anyway?

marcoalza

Chief Petty Officer

Ok, stupid question. What does MPI stand for/mean anyway?

Multi Point (fuel) Injection.
A fuel injector for each cylinder (multi) as opposed to a single fuel injector in the inlet manifold feeding all cylinders.

Not a stupid question Jack!

jack_pine

Seaman Apprentice

Ok, thanks. One more. Are MPI engines and the "California compliant" engines they list on their site one in the same thing? Those engines are like 4k more.

jkust

Rear Admiral

Ok, thanks. One more. Are MPI engines and the "California compliant" engines they list on their site one in the same thing? Those engines are like 4k more.
Yes MPI costs more than the Carb engines that the EPA and state of CA have outlawed with an asterisk. All engines soon will be MPI but sadly with a CAT. MPI came into play right around 2002 and has continued to be an expensive option since. Smaller boats almost never have it here in MN while larger ones almost always seem to have it. That is why my comment above of seeing many Tahoes (all small) that have the MPI V6 instead of the Carb v6 is a compliment and a bit confusing. Just go to Craigs List and type in MPI in the boats section and you will get few hits for smaller boats. I tend to see a lot of confusion in adds mixing up MPI and EFI.

ZRguy

Recruit

Jack_pine, yes it has a fresh water tank that we have never used in 4 years. The sink has turned into a storage area, but not a good one because the lid doesn't keep the rain out so everything gets wet inside. Also, the drain location is poor so the sink doesn't drain entirely. There is a lot of room under the sink that is holding the tank and pump that I have seriously thought about pullig out and putting soem other type of storage in. The problem is that the fiberglass is contoured so I can't just drop in a commercially available access port or storage bin. Tahoe should redisign this area or offer an option to eliminate the sink.

mvnvltn

Seaman Apprentice

Started with a Q7sf and had it replaced under warranty and the upped me to a 215xi. First off the customer service at Bass Pro is non existent. With that out of the way they are both nice boats. The fishing seat in the front has its purpose but will quickly become a headache. The deck boat is way better for fishing if you can swing the extra couple of bucks. I am a mechanic by trade and am also a picky person. The wireless trolling motor is loud and sometimes hard to control, I put a 85thrust 24volt on the deck boat and am more than pleased. If you have any questions I am home all the time shoot me a PM if you want my number and I can give you a better idea of the differences.

jack_pine

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks. My dealer still has a 216 WT that is carbed. Deciding weather to jump on that or not....

PrinceValium

Chief Petty Officer

We absolutely LOVE our Tahoe. The boat we had prior to the Tahoe was a 1984 Malibu skier and we had all sorts of problems with it etc. I finally had all I could take of the old boat and was looking into a new boat to have some RELIABILITY!! I looked at the Tahoe several times and for the money it is a great deal. I bought the 2011 Q7i with the 4.3 MPI 220 HP V6. The boat runs absolutely flawless and the fit and finish in my opinion is great. There is lots of room in the boat, good amount of storage, we like that almost every storage compartment can also be a cooler! My wife loves (and always calls dibs) on the large padded area over the motor. We tow tubes, wakeboards, skiers. Our boat has a stainless steel prop 19 P 3 blade. We had the boat up to an indicated 58 MPH!! (trimmed up of course) Ours is black and white and we have had numorous comments on how beautiful the boat is. The trailer has trailer brakes on it which is a great help when braking. It has really good lights all around the trailer etc. The radio in the tahoe is pretty good and gets plenty loud enough but for my taste it needs a little more bass.

I was on the fence about the Tahoe probably like you are but I can honestly say I feel we made a very good choice. Soon the kids will be gone and it will be the wife and I for the most part. We wanted something we could just run around in, fish in, and bring some friends out in! The Q7i seats 9 and best of all has a 45 gallon tank! You can be out on the lake all day long without worrying about refueling! Being a fuel injected motor it also allows us to go to the higher altitude lakes and it will automatically compensate, where carbed motors need to be retuned for altitude.

Buy a Tahoe...you will not regret it!!

Status
Not open for further replies.