Tahoe Q4 carpet replacement project

the_smoo

Seaman Apprentice
Ok,

So I decided to pull up the carpet on my 2004 Q4.. was all matted and nasty. Took only about 3 hours to pull the seats and get the carpet out. (they didnt use much glue to get it down in the first place. Might get to some photos soon.)

So now what I am planning is to sand/grind off residue and duraback the exposed surface. Then using the carpet I pulled, get some snap in stuff from here.

http://www.corinthian-marine-carpet.com/marine-boat-carpet.html

Want to be able to pull it when I want to clean the carpet, but also pull when I want to fish and just hose out the floor, so probable will install some drain points also.

Anyone else had a crack at this, and if so, any tips..?

Last edited:

the_smoo

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Tahoe Q4 carpet replacement project

and I know the forum has been slow, but surely (dont call me shirly) you guys have some projects on the go.. :)

Hashi

Chief Petty Officer

smoo, you might want to post your thread under Boat Restoration, Building, and Hull Repair. You will "surely" get a response there.

the_smoo

Seaman Apprentice

thanks mate... will give that a go instead..

the_smoo

Seaman Apprentice

ok then... my post in the resto forum just got buried... anyways.. I finished the floor.. tore up the carpet and it was ply with glass over the top (rough).. I got all the glue off and put down some Durabak.. much better now... am going for some snap in carpet in the coming weeks... at least now you can pull it up and hose the floor out! I can taste summer...

p1030978u.jpg

and some new seats (yeah they are out of a mariah, but oh they are sweet!
p1030976g.jpg

p1030979d.jpg

and she is finally named.. (i know shes not the first with this name, but it suits us!)

p1030975.jpg

maddog2112

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nice thread. The seats look great, and I like the idea of the snap in carpeting. Can you let us know what the actual cost of the project turns out to be? Ive got the Q6 and would love to add this to my future project list. Thx

the_smoo

Seaman Apprentice

the seats were not cheap.. I think 800 delivered... very expensive but they are quality. The durabak was $110 for the gallon. I did three coats with that so it goes a long way. The carpet I havent measured up yet. It hasnt been cheap, but I am happy with the progress so far.. Much better than stinky glued down lake carpet!

TahoeQ5

Cadet

The floor looks great. I have had 2 Tahoe's, both Q5's that I did the re-carpet thing. Never again. My current boat is a Q7 and the floor is finished gelcoat with snap in's.

I have the exact same seats, bought from GLS a month or so ago. You have great taste.

jkust

Rear Admiral

It looks really nice in those pics. Lack of snap in carpet was in the deal breaker column for me back when I bought my sig boat. It's so much more practical to not have it when you don't want it. It's to the point now where most boats have it or at least offer it.

the_smoo

Seaman Apprentice

I had it out yesterday to de-winterize and go over everything. The kids had been playing in it so the floor was a bit filthy. I just pulled it out in the driveway, hopped in with the hose and sprayed the floor down! Sweet. The durabak beads up well and repels water like nobodys business. Need to get moving and measure up the carpet for the snap-in.

My only gripe is that I wanted to put down the cream color, but the wife said white. The white is too bright for my taste, but I purchased two pints of cream smooth durabak, so when I recoat in a few years, the color will be cream. For those considering this an option, consider it because stinky dirty carpet is horrid! Its not hard to lay down, just get your prep work sorted and it goes down easy.

The other bonus for this model, is removing the back to back now gives me greater room in the back of the boat. The boats rated for 7, but lets face it, 7 in this boat would/is downright uncomfortable and ridiculous, so in my book, no loss!

jkust

Rear Admiral

The other bonus for this model, is removing the back to back now gives me greater room in the back of the boat. The boats rated for 7, but lets face it, 7 in this boat would/is downright uncomfortable and ridiculous, so in my book, no loss!

That's a nice bonus. I have sport seating and so there isn't too much room in the back like yours. I like the look and seating accomodations of sport seating but it really robs you of space on our tiny 18 footers.

the_smoo

Seaman Apprentice

de-winterized as of yesterday!

p1040058.jpg

scooper77515

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Not sure if this is your style or not, but at the end of last season, I yanked the button-down carpet out and tossed it.

Went with Hydroturf with 3M adhesive "peel and stick" on the back. Lay the carpet on top, cut it out the same shape, peel back and stick it where you want it.

This stuff does not absorb water so it doesn't get wet and mildewy. and so far, on 3 boats, never had a stain that I couldn't easily get out. Bubblegum was worst, but scraped up with a knife when cool. Synthetic motor oil spot is a little more work, but just need a brush and soapy water, which I always forget.

I also added it in places where there was no carpet. On swim platform, around engine cover, on railings for footholds, and under the anchor stow (to absorb rattling sounds from anchor).

Before picture...

attachment.php

and After pictures...

attachment.php

attachment.php

jkust

Rear Admiral

Went with Hydroturf with 3M adhesive "peel and stick" on the back. Lay the carpet on top, cut it out the same shape, peel back and stick it where you want it.

That is a great idea. I am torn on using my carpet. My feet are flat to the point of debilitating without shoes with arch supports on and so I use the carpet more than I want to since I'm barefoot in the boat. I'd like just a small piece of that material to cover the helm station floor since I stand 80% of the time while driving. Where did you buy the Hydroturf product?

scooper77515

I have a bunch of spare material. PM me your mailing address and I can put a small chunk into the mail for you, maybe 3" square?

www.hydroturf.com

You can buy it in sheets, like I did, or precut to fit your boat, but I think they only precut for seadoo-type boats.

I used it on a jet ski, and in my old challenger jet boat. Sheets on the boat, precut on the jet ski. I like the cut diamond pattern. Used on my jet boat and new boat. But they have several designs to choose from.

attachment.php

attachment.php

the_smoo

Seaman Apprentice

hmmmmmmmmm... looks good!

scooper77515

I have quite a bit left over. I could have done the entire boat with 3 sheets, but I bought 4. So I used some spare to do the anchor stow, and will likely use more under the floor in the ski locker. Just to absorb the rattles from anchors, fishing poles, oars, etc.

I even cut some scraps and mounted on the trailer tongue, on top of the fenders, etc. for slip protection when crawling in and out of the boat.

So if anyone needs a chunk of sample (within reason...I don't want to cut up a half sheet for samples! :rolleyes:) I would be willing to mail a sample chunk out to you ifyou PM me a mailing address.

As I cut this stuff, there are LOTS of long skinny rounded strips that I cannot use anywhere else, and it just gets thrown away.

As for cost, the sheet, 3M adhesive, and shipping runs at under $100 each. So I could have done my entire boat for less than $300.

I have no idea how much carpet costs, so this may be more expensive, or cheaper...:confused:

But either way, much nicer. Doesn't get dirty, doesn't stink when wet, etc.

I will never use anything else in any boat.

Covert_Ops

Recruit

I have a bunch of spare material. PM me your mailing address and I can put a small chunk into the mail for you, maybe 3" square?

www.hydroturf.com

You can buy it in sheets, like I did, or precut to fit your boat, but I think they only precut for seadoo-type boats.

I used it on a jet ski, and in my old challenger jet boat. Sheets on the boat, precut on the jet ski. I like the cut diamond pattern. Used on my jet boat and new boat. But they have several designs to choose from.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I ran into this discussion today. Very interesting options. I think I like the hydro turf option? Scooper, the pics you posted do not seem to be included anymore. Wondering if you could post again?

Are u still happy with the outcome?

scooper77515

Still very happy! I can see the pictures when I scroll through them :confused: