Q4 Tahoe Second Battery

tkarlo22

Recruit
I recently bought a new Q4 with 4.3l. Not the SF package (should have went this way and wouldnt have these issues). I was on the lake and playing the radio when the radio started to crack. Next thing I know is that I am being towed in because of a dead battery. Got a new battery (optima BLUE top) but want to add a auxillary battery for the radio, and other gadgets (thinking about a depth finder/fish finder). Going to do the Isolater and switch but where is a good spot to put a auxillary battery? Storage is a slim on these boats. Is a PWC battery sufficent for a radio and other electronics? Any suggestions.

mandopickr

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Q4 Tahoe Second Battery

On the Q6 SF the auxillary battery is on the left side just past the storage box. The battery for motor is on the right side at the livewell.
On the Q6 there is actually room for two batteries (I'm going to add a second aux battery and a charger here), so I would think there would be room for a single battery on the Q4.

aguyindallas

Cadet

About how long were you listening to the radio before the battery died? I am just curious so I dont do the same thing in my boat.

scoathy

Cadet

About how long were you listening to the radio before the battery died? I am just curious so I dont do the same thing in my boat.

I would be interested to find this out too. Also, is there a how to section on this forum that details what is needed and how to install a 2nd battery. I am new to the forum and still navigating around looking for things...:)

Thanks!

Scott

rdhawk1950

Seaman

Because of the closeness of the battery on a Q4 would be to the fuel pump on the starbord side , to be in line with NNMA, boating industry regs, and coastguard regs is the reason Q4 batterys are on the port side. On the Ski Fish model the two battreys are mounted one in front of the other on the port side . Just move the existing box bach and mount the other box in front, there is room.

howeird

Cadet

Because of the closeness of the battery on a Q4 would be to the fuel pump on the starbord side , to be in line with NNMA, boating industry regs, and coastguard regs is the reason Q4 batterys are on the port side. On the Ski Fish model the two battreys are mounted one in front of the other on the port side . Just move the existing box bach and mount the other box in front, there is room.

Here is how the batteries are in my 2008 Q4 SF.

Attachments

• q4sfbatt4.JPG
    q4sfbatt4.JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 15

Tahoe 55

Petty Officer 1st Class

I added a second batt. to my Q8i. I got a group 27 deep cycle. Tried to use an isolator switch and run all my electronics through the deep and just have the 1st batt. for cranking the engine. I couldn't easily separate the loads so I returned the switch and just hooked the deep in line with the cranking batt. (one of my complaints with Tahoe, wires all over the place and sloppily run...)I had plenty of room in the batt. compartment to add the 2nd one so I did. Now the boat lists to the starboard side when at rest in the water. It already did some before the 2nd batt., but with the added 50 or so pounds it does it worse now. Thinking of moving it to the port side, but I'll have to run much longer cables. Probably something I'll do this winter.... I also want to run thew hull exhaust this winter, but that's another story.....;)