Anyone every swap their drum brake actuator on their trailer?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
How heavy is the trailer?

Bigger isn’t necessarily better

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
first, with brake actuators, you replace like for like

next, clunking is because its dry. it may be dry because you have a bad brake line or bad slave cylinder.

prior to replacing anything, you need to troubleshoot.

you can replace a million actuators and still have a leaking wheel cylinder or leaking hose

last, most brake actuators are serviceable. maybe you only need a master seal kit.

ap0352

Recruit
Not sure of the entire weight of the boat trailer but it has GVWR 7000 lbs stamped on the tongue.
Scott, I wanted to replace like for like. I contacted Tie Down engineering which sold that division to Dexter Marine. Someone from Dexter marine suggested I use the actuator I attached in the link. As far as troubleshooting goes, I refilled the master cylinder, cracked all 4 of the drum bleeders and pumped the hitch several times and could not get anything out of any bleeder. Either the line/lines are plugged or the actuator is bad. For the cost of replacement parts, it makes more sense to me to replace the whole assembly as a bolt-on and go..

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
For the cost of replacement parts, it makes more sense to me to replace the whole assembly as a bolt-on and go..
Doesn't make sense to repair an actuator when you can buy new for $200.
I run the #6600 version of the above. Swapped out an Attwood with a cast iron master cylinder with rust issues. Went with the Tiedown because of the aluminum master cylinder. No complaints

Chris51280

Master Chief Petty Officer
yup, replaced mine too due to corrosion and could not bleed the lines. New pistons and actuator. about $200 from an online store shipped in 2 days. Used a vacuum brake bleeder. Gotten tired of pushing the actuator. I have the free backing drum brakes. My trailer is a loadrite from 2003.