2008 Tahoe Q-4 SS engine hours question

cyberrkatz

Cadet
I figured the best place to come is the owners group for the Tahoe q series boats.
some details of Boat 2008 Tahoe Q-4 SS
with the 3.0 mercruiser i4. I'm look to buy this boat
and the current owner says that Tahoe boats don't install an hour meter to know what's on the motor.
So I'd like to know from other owners if there is another way of knowing or pulling the engine hours on this particular engine set up. Thanks in advance.
Much appreciated.
Brian.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
tahoe, bayliner, and many others do not install hour meters on boats. the truth is most people barely use their boats more than 10-15 hours per year.

and no, there is no way to pull engine hours from a 3.0. with proper maintenance the motor will run for about 3000 hours in a marine environment. for a 10 year old boat, assume it has between 150 and 300 hours on it.

ThomW

Chief Petty Officer
Yeah. There is no way to pull hours from a 3.0. I agree with Scott, and 300 hours is a safe bet. Your best bet is to see the motor run and look it over.

A 3.0 with 500+ hours on it that has been well maintained and cared for can be much better than a 3.0 with 50 hours that has not been maintained and has been mistreated. Have yourself or a knowledgeable mechanic look it over, see it run, and check it out to see the condition it is in.

cyberrkatz

Cadet
Thanks for the info. I'm set to put eyes on it Sunday.
The pics that I seen gives me hope that it was well kept. So assuming that the maintenance was kept I should be good. Current owner says he has only had it out 6 times. Says work schedule doesn't allow the time to enjoy it.