Worried about boat being underpowered

dencaw

Recruit
Hi Everyone. New to this forum.

I have always admired Sun Runner boats and thinking about buying one in particular. It is a 1988 272 Ultra with Twin Volvo Penta AQ131A engines. I am not able to sea trial the boat before purchasing, though I can hear them run and put in gear. They do have Volvo Penta outdrives. I do not know the number of hours on the boat. This is an auction situation, so I don't have the luxury of talking with a prior owner. Anyway, I keep looking at the weight and length of this boat and see those small 4 cylinder engines in the bilge and worry that it will have a difficult time getting up on plane. I do not know what the hp is of the engines but I am guessing that combined the total hp can't be more than 280? Am I concerned over nothing or does this boat have power issues. Anyone know? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Lyle29464

Lieutenant
Re: Worried about boat being underpowered

I would have to test drive a boat like that. It has a lot of weight for the HP.

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

If you can get a hold of the boat's HID# you might be able to trace it back to the owner that way. Normally i wouldn't consider buying a boat I couldn't sea trial first. I hope the price is real special because as arks pointed out that's a lot of weight for a couple of 4's to push.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

FYI: You don't start and run a boat without water going to the outdrive or engine. The friction will burn up the rubber water pump impeller.

I would never buy a used boat, especially one that's very old, without having a mechanic inspect the engine with a scanner. I'd also want a compression check. The lower units should be vacuum and pressure tested to insure the seals are good--$300 repair each. I'd also want to make sure there are no gearbox problems--well over $2k each.

And if it's a fiberglass boat, I'd want the hull carefully checked out for stringer and transom rot.

If you ever look at marine salvage yards, they're full of old fiberglass I/O boats. There's a reason. My aluminum boat is 27 years old and has another 27 years if it was repowered. My 1985 Yamaha 115 hp still runs great, however.

Buying a used boat is just not that easy.