1989 SunRunner 230 Classic ?

GracieBebe

Cadet
Hi,

I am new to this forum and tried to do a search on SunRunners but I'm afraid I don't know that much about boats. My b/f and I are thinking of buying a used 1989 SunRunner 230 Classic with a I/O 220 hp. I can't seem to find any reviews on this boat although I have read that SunRunner was a very good boat company, especially their hulls, until they went out of business. Also, this boat has been kept in storage for the past 3 years indoors for the past 3 years and has not been used. Will that cause problems on the boat? Is there anything I should keep my eye out for?

Can anyone tell me more about this boat? Here are pics:

Attachments

• Sunrunner1.PNG
    Sunrunner1.PNG
    17.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Sunrunner2.PNG
    Sunrunner2.PNG
    17.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Sunrunner3.PNG
    Sunrunner3.PNG
    18.2 KB · Views: 0

medic181075

Seaman
Re: 1989 SunRunner 230 Classic ?

If the price was right, I would jump on this. I really can't tell you anything special to look for. Just the normal stuff for a used boat. It would be great if you could get it out on the water for a test drive before you bought it, but after sitting for three years, I doubt that would be an easy thing to do. Ask around in the general forums about what to look for when buying a used boat that has been sitting for a long period. Good luck!

Count Dracula

Recruit

looks like a great boat! However if you are able to do a check run it would satisfy your curiosity. my wife and I have an 86 Sunrunner 230SB Cabin Cruiser and wouldn't sell it for any amount of money. We love ours and they are great boats iin the water and great to look at. see if you can get it to the water with the present owner; he probably will oblige if there is nothing to hide. What motor is there, and when was the oil changed? check the bellows on the outdrive for cracks or leaks( they will sink you if they are leaking, and fast!) check the transom at the stern also the steering to see if there is too much play in the steering shaft. have someone hold the steering wheel tight then pull the lowered outdrive from side to side from the bottom while looking at the steering connection, it should'nt have too much play. finally, it looks like if has been cared for. wish you could post larger photos of it. we are true fans of this boat. God bless Welcome to the Sunrunner 230SB family. Count Dracula!

thad keller

Recruit

I used to own the same model, had no resale value. its heavy for a boat its size. I replaced my engine with a 350 h.p. small block and the boat performed excellent. about 2 miles to the gallon just to keep it up on plane. took six friends on 4 hr drive to put-in-bay, and cedar point in ohio from south eastern Mi. we had plenty of room, really enjoyed ourselves, had no problems with boat for 4 years that I owned it, other than keeping fuel in it. I wouldnt pay more than $4000.00 for this boat in excellent condition.