Fuel tank access

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Lofgren

Recruit
I have a 1996 Sunbird outboard, Evinrude 112 SPL Spirit 170 with inboard fuel tank. From time to time, under heavy load, the motor appears to be starving for fuel. I think either the fuel pick up in the tank of the vent in the tank may have a partial blockage. On the rear of the boat floor right in front of the motor well there are two rectangular sections of carpet that look to be separate from the rest of the flooring carpet. I am guessing that one or both of these sections when removed provide access to the fuel tank. My question is which one (one is smaller and toward the rear of the boat) will allow for access to the fuel pick up and vent location? Also, how are these panels secured to the boat and how do I remove and replace them without doing unecessary damage to the carpet and flooring? Are the panels Velcroed into place or glued, etc. I want to gain access to the fuel tank but would like to know which panel to remove and how to do it carefully before I proceed.

Thanks,

Mike

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Fuel tank access

Have you run the motor using a portable tank? That would let you know for sure if the problem was with the inboard tank or not.

Michael Lofgren

Recruit

Not yet but I purchased a used Johnson Evinrude tank that I can make that test with. I was thinking of putting a "T" in the main line from the inboard tank and then running a line from the "T" to the 6 gallon tank. Do you know if the motor will draw fuel from both tanks. I thought if the inboard tank did not deliver fuel the fuel would be drawn from the auxillary tank. Any thoughts?

Thanks for the reply,

Mike

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I would not (and do not on my boat) do any of that. Introducing more potential problems plus I don't think it would work. The tanks are vented so I would think when one went dry you'd have no suction. Just have two fuel line assemblies and switch them. Redundancy is always a good thing on a boat anyway.

Marcdee

Recruit

I have a 1996 Sunbird outboard, Evinrude 112 SPL Spirit 170 with inboard fuel tank. From time to time, under heavy load, the motor appears to be starving for fuel. I think either the fuel pick up in the tank of the vent in the tank may have a partial blockage. On the rear of the boat floor right in front of the motor well there are two rectangular sections of carpet that look to be separate from the rest of the flooring carpet. I am guessing that one or both of these sections when removed provide access to the fuel tank. My question is which one (one is smaller and toward the rear of the boat) will allow for access to the fuel pick up and vent location? Also, how are these panels secured to the boat and how do I remove and replace them without doing unecessary damage to the carpet and flooring? Are the panels Velcroed into place or glued, etc. I want to gain access to the fuel tank but would like to know which panel to remove and how to do it carefully before I proceed.

Thanks,

Mike

Mike
Any luck? becuase I have the same problem....
Marc

Drew Parker

Recruit

I have just sprung a massive leak in my underfloor (23gal) tank in my 16ft Sunbird bowrider - I have no panels through which to access the tank other than the round lid over the pipeline connections. Any advice that can be shared as to the best way to cut and lift out the floor would be appreciated. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.