Fiberglass gas tank?

dads sunbird

Recruit
I have a 1990 Sunbird corsica 175 with the OMC cobra engine. I'm having trouble with my fuel line, its completely clogged and cooroded and on top of the gas tank where the wires are is completely coroded. So I was wondering if the gas tank was fiberglass because I've heard that gas with ethenol in it eats away fiberglass fuel tanks. So if the tank is made out of fiberglass that could be my problem. So if you know the original fuel tank was made out of fiberglass or not could you let me know? I would greatly appreciate it.

macie

Cadet
Re: Fiberglass gas tank?

i don't think ethanol will dissolve the fiberglass tank,i have 29 yrs of petroleum installation,(underground fiberglass storage tanks,fiberglass piping, vapor recovery,etc). if that be the case,there's going to be an awful lot of mini-marts that will be replacing their storage tanks

PAMKOTG

Recruit

I have a 1998 and have re-fiberglassed the whole floor-trust me when i say the tank is not fiberglass it is metal. I am in need of the location of the access panel in that tank. I forgot to leave it exposed and now need to access the tank. You mentioned the wires came out of the top. Were they in the middle or towards the back? The fuel line should go in from the side. Your problem sounds like you need to re-place the fuel lines all the way to the motor. Then re-do the carberator, place a fliter on the engine line to keep the gas clean. It happens with the older motors and the new gas :( i have to do this myself. This is why i need the access panel. Please let me know where yours is. Thanks

macie

Cadet

pamkotg;if its any help,i have a 96' corsair 200 cuddy,and the fuel sending wires,and the fuel line comes off the very rear of my tank,the filler line enters the tank about 1/3 of the way back from the front of the tank.my tank is either fiberglass, or polypropylene.