23' sunbird neptune walkaround

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulgs

Cadet
I'm looking at a 23 foot sunbird neptune walkaround with the engine on a bracket. I like the idea of the closed transom, it gives more usable cockpit space. Does anyone have any knowledge, opinion, or comments on this boat? Thanks.

mattttt25

Commander
Re: 23' sunbird neptune walkaround

i have a '97 sunbird neptune 200 center. i really enjoy the boat, especially what i paid for it. they were/are a "value" boat- probably the same quality as bayliner and the likes, without the bad rep. i run with a '98 johnson 150hp, and think it's the smallest engine that would do. i provide that info just so you can compare with what comes on the package you are looking at. as for the boat itself, really no problems here. i have some nice adds- custome hard top, launchers, lots of electronics, etc. wiring is a bit messy, but that comes with the "value" tag. if you have any specific questions, let me know. good luck-

Mettaree

Petty Officer 1st Class

paulgs: I also have a Sunbird Neptune 200 CC that came powered with a 115 hp Rude - was definitely underpowered. Would do abt. 30 gps WOT w/17p prop ( 3 people, 60 gal. gas, 2-batts in bow w/74# RipTide Troll, all fish tackle, abt. 50-60# ice). Repowering with 200 Merc. Really like boat - cuts rough water good ( 3-5' ) rides good.<br />Did need tabs - used Smart Tabs - work outstanding. Have T-Top on it - enjoy boat very much - shame they are out of business. Don't think you can go wrong if the price is right.<br /><br />Jim<br /> :)

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Hey Paul Like the boat a lot!!!! Great setup!!!!Dont expect to maneuver too well at idle speeds though.the bracket makes it tougher to turn and backup.Charlie

nightstalker

Chief Petty Officer

Paulgs:<br /> I have a 226 Sunbird walk around cuddy. I really like the boat. She is stout, well put together and can take a lot of rough water. I have a 225 Johnny on her and that may make her a little overpowered. I burn about 22gph at wot which is about 50 mph. What engine is on the rig your looking at and what are they asking for it. In general, Sunbirds are pretty good value boats.<br />Stalker

paulgs

Cadet

The engine is a 98 evinrude. Seller says that it's a carbureted engine not a ficht. The boat is a 98 as well. Asking price is $15,500 (no trailer). What do you think about the value, durability, driveablilty etc. I'd be using it in Massachusetts (ocean). What do you think? What issues did your boat have? Any repairs? Any special problems with engine on bracket? Thanks.

mattttt25

Commander

not knowing what options it has, i think it's a bit high. i wouldn't pay more than $14k. my boat came with a trailer, custom hard top, lots of electronics, all uscg gear, and i paid $12k about 1.5 years ago.

nightstalker

Chief Petty Officer

A WAC is going to cost more than a CC. I paid $8,600 for a 1991 Sunbird 226 WAC with a 1994 225 Johnny in excellent condition with a Performance trailer last Fall. The wiring on Sunbirds leaves something to be desired, but overall, I think that $15,500 is just a tad high.<br />Stalker

dansoph

Petty Officer 3rd Class

we have a 98 17'b.r. love the boat.onlyproblem is the gas tank .can never tell how much fuel is i2n it. tank is 4 3/4"deep and who knows how long.the guage bounces around a lot. boat is well built.98' 90hp evenrude

bcribb52

Seaman

I have a 23 ft sunbird 1998 center console. It has a 200 hp johnson and runs about 50 mph. It has auto pilot ,garmin gps/fish finder ,T-T0p and a few more extras,trailer also. 15,900

eghickey

Recruit

I have owned a 23' Sunbird Neptune Walk around since 1998. The boat is great! I fish along the Jersey coast between Manasquan and Sandy Hook and this boat is perfect for inshore Striped Bass, Fluke, etc fishing. It is also good for family cruising with is cabin area.
I am looking to sell if interested. I have an opportunity to move up to a larger boat or I would keep this one.
If you are interested or just want more info on the boat let me know.

Jonhoggatt

Recruit
I do like mine. 23 ft walk around. I need a drain plug for the motor bracket. Any idea, where I can get one?

Status
Not open for further replies.