water in hull, bilge question

cstultz

Cadet
Was out on the water today in my 180lx. Noticed it really lagging. It wouldn't pick up until everyone went to the front of the boat. I checked the engine. The bilge pump wasn't pumping water and water was coming right out of the engine. I understand that there is probably as issue with the pump/switch/float. But the water coming from the engine??? I really haven't had a lot of time to look. All I do know is that the entire back end of the boat was full of water. Any ideas? Any common issues??

tpenfield

Staff member
Could be a large number of things . . . so maybe you can run the engine on the ear muffs and see where water is coming out. Did you notice any overheating?

cstultz

Cadet
I didn't see any overheating. I was consciously watching the temp gauge. It almost seems to me like the water used to cool the engine wasn't being cycled back out. Is that how it works? Is there a hose of some sort that runs the water out?

tpenfield

Staff member
It would be a good idea for you to study up on the service manual for your engine, as that will explain many of these things. The reason being is that you will have to deal with engine issues from time to time and the more you know, the better of you are.

There are 2 types of cooling system (raw water) and (closed). They each draw water from outside the boat, use it for cooling and then expel the water through the exhaust, which also provides cooling to the exhaust. There are many hose fittings, plus the cooling system itself, that can leak is something is not right.

So, you should be able to run the engine on the ear muffs and look for leaks. Just be careful of the moving parts as the engine is running.

cstultz

Cadet
It looks like the water is pumping in from the area near the starter. It was coming in pretty fast when I was on the lake. I do not have muffs. The bilge pump wasn't working either. I'm assuming this is unrelated. I've had a couple electrical issues with switches on that side of my instrument panel. I'm assuming that could be an issue.

tpenfield

Staff member
Pictures and maybe some highlighting of exactly where the water is coming from would be great at this point . . . there is just too much guesswork based on the descriptive information given.

cstultz

Cadet
I was going to post a picture, but the picture I took was too big. Anyhow, Ever have one of those days??? I hooked up the trailer, drove to the boat shop, pulled in to the crowded parking lot and took the corner too sharp. Actually, took out a pole and scratched the side of the boat. Looks like the side trim popped a little. Nothing too bad. Then I noticed the trailer wasn't even locked. Ugghhh. What was I thinking???? Well.... They seem to think it's the bellows. $1,100 seem about right?

tpenfield

Staff member
. . . . pulled in to the crowded parking lot and took the corner too sharp. Actually, took out a pole and scratched the side of the boat. Looks like the side trim popped a little. Nothing too bad. Then I noticed the trailer wasn't even locked. Ugghhh. What was I thinking???? Well.... They seem to think it's the bellows. $1,100 seem about right?

Bummer, about the driving mishap . . .

Well, $1,100 based on speculation may not be the best approach. Not sure from what you described that they know for sure. What if it is not the bellows, then what? It would be nice if they can say with certainty, before they do $1,100 of work.

$1,100, seems a bit pricey, but it would probably include all of the bellows.

cstultz

Cadet
$1,100 was their estimate if it is the bellows. They're going to look and figure it out then call with an estimate.