Starting issue

I have a question about my 08 3.0 carb on my 185. I bought it this year with only 25 hours on it so it is basically still a new boat. The problem I am having is when starting the boat. It doesnt seem to matter if I dont pump the gas when I go to start it, pump it once, twice, three times, etc. it cranks for quite a while before starting, like 10 seconds or so, smelling very rich when it does, and its worse on a hot start. Once it is running it is perfect, no hesitation when flooring it, idles good, etc. Is this just normal for this engine? Thinking maybe needs a choke adjustment? Any ideas how to tweek the carb a bit would be greatly appreciated. Or tips on starting it, or if its just normal. Thanks much

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Starting issue

There was a carb recall on the 3.0s, but I think it was for later years than yours.

I was lucky enough to get a 04 used with only 14 hours on it -- so basically new too. The only problem with this is that it means it sat long periods of time with gas in it, and mine resulted in a gummed up carb. Each year it got more and more hard to start till warm.

Get a carb rebuilt kit from iboats or amarket.com and she will start each time, every time.