Floor Storage Drainage problem

MartyMc

Recruit
Hello everyone. Let me begin by saying I know next to nothing about boats, but I'm posting this in hopes to have some info to give my husband when he gets in from work. We purchased a 1987 StingRay SVB 192SS a few weeks ago. With the horrible storms we've been having the last two days, the boat ends up with water in the floor storage area (due to the water seeping in thru the cover one time & the cover being blown off another time). I run the bilge and I see water draining out of it, however the level of water in the storage area doesn't go down. My 9 year old son & I have used a manual pump with a hose attached & empty the storage area, but what a pain! There is a small hole in the rear area of the storage compartment that I had put a small rod into, but it seems to "hit a brick wall :)". I guess my questions are 1)shouldn't the bilge drain this? 2) if so, is it possible that it's clogged? 3)how do we unclog this?

I didn't want to use too much force with the rod (all I need is to end up with my head on a plate if I sink the boat!)..........

Any suggestions?

Thanks much, in advance, for any advice you can give me!

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Floor Storage Drainage problem

Are you storing the boat on the trailer or in the water?

If its not in the water, take the drain plug out and be sure and leave the boat with the nose higher than the rear to help all the water drain to the back of the boat and then out.

That ski locker drain is notorious for getting clogged up. It is also notorious for coming from the factory with some construction debris in it. I would try a wire hanger bent so that you can possible pull stuff back out of the hole. The ski lockers do then to stay wet longer because there is not a lot of air circulation there, but it should drain to the back of the boat.

MartyMc

Recruit
Re: Floor Storage Drainage problem

Thanks for the reply! Brought a wire hanger down to it (it is in the water) and poked around and seemed to help. Rained all morning today, so finger's crossed all will be ok! Thanks again, I really appreciate it!