Price Oppinion Question...

920Sting

Cadet
Hello!

I am in the market for a boat and very much in love with the Stingray and refuse to even look at anything else. Currently the financing on a used boat is horrible so have been looking at a brand new 09 185LS. With all the dealer incentives on 3 year old new boat the price I was quoted today was 16,800 (with out tax) but does include a trailer. Just wondering with everyone else's knowledge of this brand does this sounds like a good deal? Am I still going to run into financing problems being its an 09 vs 11 with how a bank would view this?
-I have noticed this boat doesn't come with the digital depth finder as an option, being inexperienced i am wondering how important this option is to aide in driving over unknown territory or getting to shallow risking lower unit damage.
Any insight on these as a first time boat buyer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Much for your time!

Roebuckridge

Cadet
Re: Price Oppinion Question...

You can install an in-dash dept finder for about $200. Which engine is in the boat? I'd assume a 4.3? That price seems reasonable if the boat has been out of the weather and still looks like it did in 09. I recently purcahsed a low-hour 02 model and got 4 years at 7% but I plan on paying it off in about half that time. My bank would have happily gone 5 or 6 years on a newer boat like an 09. If it helps, the paperwork that came with my 2002 180 LX shows where the original owner paid $13,965 for it new in February of 2002, and that was with a trailer. Those were better times but that was for a boat 7 years older, smaller, and with the 3.0 engine. If you like it and it does what you want then I'd say it's a pretty good deal.

MilChad

Seaman

The boat in question probably comes with a 3.0, correct?

920Sting

Cadet

Yes this does come with the 3.0 litre..I really want a very nice used 01 180 LS with low hours and the guy is asking 10 grand for it. The thing seems to be immaculate and rather finance 10 vs 17,000 but the financing is a pain as I would like to get a lower payment and just pay more every month as there is no prepay penalty. 7% doesn't seem bad for interest most Banks I have talked to are leary about giving finances for a 10 year old boat and its frustrating as this thing has a ton of life left in it.....Any legit online boat financing companies anyone know of?

MilChad

Seaman

I've seen newer (2005-2006) 185LS/LX Stingrays on Boat Trader going for less than $10k. Not sure where you live, but check them out and maybe you can find one near you for a good price. FWIW, the best deals I've seen are in Florida.

920Sting

Cadet

Yeah I have seen those to but I am in WI so there is nothing close to that...Is it possible that these prices are lower in areas that can use boats year round? This guys is pretty firm on his price but not sure I am going to get him to come down but I haven't found much else that all that much lower that comes with that many accessories? I wish I was closer to get a great deal like some on Boat Trader...

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade

An 01 180 for 10K, no way. I got my 04 190 LX with all accessories for 16 4 years ago, and mine has a 4.3 v6. You need to watch the Carolina's where these are made. That is too much. I see good deals on them here in Middle Tennessee too.

http://nashville.craigslist.org/boa/2500498829.html

http://nashville.craigslist.org/boa/2497948547.html

http://nashville.craigslist.org/boa/2449284831.html

Personally, I think if you can find a used 190 you will really appreciate the ability to have 8 adults in it, versus 7, and the 4.3 V6 engine, versus the 3.0.

920Sting

Cadet

Damn that sucks, we are just in a bad area as even other brands and years are comparable in price unless you just want to go new which is a ton more money....At this rate I am going to end up with Bayliner. Frustrating stuff! Thanks for the oppinions they are greatly appreciated.

MilChad

Seaman

I wonder if you could travel to where the good deals are and rent a truck with a hitch? Sounds like a pain but might save $1k or more.