Prop recommendation

Hey guys. I have a stingray 185 with a 3.0 volvo penta. I have the boat loaded up with people and gear just about every time I go out. I currently have a 3 blade 21 pitch prop that only gives me 3000 rpm wot holeshot rpm and get about 4000 rpm at 38 mph top speed. Also having trouble getting to a plane. Plan on putting smart tabs on it to help that out, but have heard you lose a couple mph with them cause they constantly drag. Do you thing I should go with a 19 pitch 3 blade aluminum or maybe a 17 pitch 4 blade aluminum to help with hole shot and get my rpm up to the 4200 to 4800 rpm range. Hole shot is more important to me than max speed since I like to pull tubers and possibly a wake boarder in the future. Thanks guys

JWFails

Seaman
Re: Prop recommendation

I have an 2002 19ft ls with the 4.3l and put a aluminum 4 blade 21p prop on it and it made a world of difference.

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Prop recommendation

Is that the prop it came with stock? Stingray usually does a good job matching a prop for overall performance, but your max rpm seems real low. How does it do when its just you in the boat running on a smooth lake.

My thoughts are 1: you need a tune up and 2: you need a prop with a lower pitch.

Go into the Stingray forum and you will get much better advice on a prop for your boat.