Looking at a 2000 180 rs

coondogger

Cadet
I'm currently looking at a boat for sale that seems to be in good condition. The hull has no mars. The engine looks clean. The carpets are mildewed and there is some other mildew on the upholstery. But everything else looks good. However, the bimini cover has holes in it (mice). I intend to keep this boat on a dock, so I need a snap-on cover. How hard is this item to replace? Also, he's nowhere near a body of water (the boat has not been used since 2007) so a sea trial isn't likely. But he said he'd put a battery in so he could run the engine on muffs, and I could see if the electronics worked. Is there anything else I should know about this boat, performance wise? It's a 3.0 and will be used to tow tubes and skiiers -- mostly kids -- and general running about. Any opinions would be appreciated.

Roebuckridge

Cadet
Re: Looking at a 2000 180 rs

I just bought a 2002 180 LX, same engine. For kids and pulling the wife it works great. It'll pull me up but at 210 pounds it does show it's limitations. However, for 95% of what we do with it I couldn't be happier, very efficient and the 3.0 is very durable. Mercruiser or Volvo Penta? Mine has the Volvo, which is a great outdrive but be sure you've got someone that is willing to service for when the time comes. I'd try to make every effort to try the boat in the water, there's just too many potential issues you won't see unless you run it and get a feel for what may be needing attention. At least take someone knowledgeable with you if you can.

coondogger

Cadet
Re: Looking at a 2000 180 rs

Thanks for the input. The guy selling the boat didn't want to put it in the water for a sea trial. And there wasn't even a battery in the boat so I could run the engine with muffs. So I asked him if I could get a surveyor to look at it. Even that was a problem. So I passed, and bought a 2007 Larson 180 sport instead. It has a 3.0 Volvo Penta and it's just fine for my needs.