New to boating- looking at a 1996 Stingray 586

spade

Recruit
Hey everyone

I am new here and I have some newbie questions. Hopefully you can put up with me while I learn. I am going to look at a 1996 586. I think it's a 586. The ad only shows that it is a 19.5 bowrider with a 4.3. After a little web research, 586 is what I came up with. The pics of the boat look pretty nice or at least nice for what I would expect a 96 to look like. Owner states that it has 280 hours on it and that there are no mechanical problems. She states that the only thing wrong with it is that it is missing all of the bow seat cushions. So now for my questions: :)

She is asking 5500. Is this a fair price? NADA shows 4100-4600.
Is offering 4200-4500 cold hard cash fair?

My buddy that knows boats is actually out of the country for the next month so I am on my own. Can you tell me what I should check, look for ask....anything else?

I know of no lake where the boat is located, is it a no go if I am not able to go for a test ride?

Thanks for the help and guidance. I am really excited and cant wait to get out on the lake.

makinc80

Seaman Apprentice
Re: New to boating- looking at a 1996 Stingray 586

does the boat come with a trailer? i would try to get the boat as cheap as i could! it is always a good idea to have a sea trial and be sure of the boats performance prior to purchase. also look at the bellows (rubber tubes behind outdrive. they are rubber and only last 5-8 years. good luck, i love my stingray!

spade

Recruit
Re: New to boating- looking at a 1996 Stingray 586

Thanks for the tip!