Ventilation tubes going to no-where

justinwerner

Cadet
My recently purchased 1978 Bowrider 1800 Outboard has a factory louvered vent each outside of the aft gunwhales. There are, for lack of a better description, four (2 each side) 3" plastic dryer vent tubes that just hang down and open to nothing around the top of the gas tank below the motor mount. What is their purpose, and are they supposed to be connected to something?

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Ventilation tubes going to no-where

Welcome aboard! Those are your blower hoses. If you follow them up you will see they connect to a fan which pulls gas fumes out of you bilge before you start the engine. Look for the blower switch on your dash and make sure to run it 4 minutes each time before you start your boat.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to iboats.

Since it's an outboard you probably don't have a bilge blower. The hanging hoses are more or less just ventilation for the aft area of the boat. Blowers are normally used when the engine is inside the hull, not for outboards. Given the prior post, we have a case of conflicting information. Hopefully more will chime in and you will have to decide. One of us is right. :)

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

Welcome to iboats.

Since it's an outboard you probably don't have a bilge blower. The hanging hoses are more or less just ventilation for the aft area of the boat. Blowers are normally used when the engine is inside the hull, not for outboards. Given the prior post, we have a case of conflicting information. Hopefully more will chime in and you will have to decide. One of us is right. :)

GA_Boater, your right, I missed the word outboard... My bad. :facepalm: way past my bed time. too tired I guess! :lol:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

GA_Boater, your right, I missed the word outboard... My bad. :facepalm: way past my bed time. too tired I guess! :lol:

No prob, taz. I had to read his post a couple of times to make sure it said O/B.

justinwerner

Cadet

Thanks guys. I'm sure I'll have more as I dig further in.