Steury 17' OMC140

BuckyBoater

Recruit
Just bought a 1978 17' w/Stringer outdrive. Haven't had it open yet as it is a Spring project. Prev owner said that they couldn't get it started at the end of the Summer. Anyone have experience with this boat or the 140/Stringer? Any known problems so I don't spend a lot of time looking up the wrong squirrel hole for the problem? Anyone have a wiring diagram?

Its a closed bow v-hull. Looks to be in reasonable shape...little elbow grease and a few beers...:D

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Steury 17' OMC140

The main issue with the Stringer would be parts support as it's pretty well obsolete. Steury made good solid boats (as long as the wooden components deck/stringers/transom are still in good shape). There are generic wiring diagrams in the electrical section and I'd recommend posting your engine/drive questions in the OMC I/O section for better results. Not much activity down here in Steury.

dote

Recruit

looking into buying a 1970 14' Steury Runabout with a 70hp Johnson. it would be my first boat and i would use it for tubing, skiing and fishing off of long island. i wanted to know what people thought of the steury and if it was a good first boat. i love boat and i have been on them my whole life i thought it would be a good idea to get one of my own. thanks

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

looking into buying a 1970 14' Steury Runabout with a 70hp Johnson. it would be my first boat and i would use it for tubing, skiing and fishing off of long island. i wanted to know what people thought of the steury and if it was a good first boat. i love boat and i have been on them my whole life i thought it would be a good idea to get one of my own. thanks

Steurys were very solid boats but a 1970 is only as good as it's owners. If it was garage kept for most of it's life or was restored somewhere along the way it may be in great shape. However, most fiberglass boats of that age are going to have issues with rotted transoms, decks, and stringers. Is the Johnson also a 1970?

dote

Recruit

the transom of the boat was ruined so the owner had it replaced with a stainless steel one. other than that i dont think there were any problems with the boat. the thing is that i have a tight budget, i am in high school and i really want a boat for fishing all year round and for tubing, skiing and cruising in the summer but i only have 1500 to spend. so my choices are very limited. i want a small boat, no bigger than 19 feet with no cuddy. if i was lucky i would stumble upon a whaler but they are usually way out of my price range. thanks for your help.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

The actual transom is comprised of plywood sandwiched within the fiberglass. That's rotten in your case and they band-aid'ed it with steel. Typical but not a great repair. All the fasteners going through the rotten wood tend to compress and leak. Not as structurally sound either. For your budget, you should look for an aluminum hull. Starcrafts are the most prolific but Sylvan, Sea Nymph, Smokercraft, Mirrocraft, Crestliner, Alumacraft, etc etc are also prominent manufacturers. Aluminum hulls have aluminum stringers and the wooden decks are easily replaced (they aren't fiberglassed) so even a cheap gutted hull can be fixed up fairly easily. My first project boat was bought for $200 and the second for $1000. Links below. Check out the Starcraft section of this web site for other examples.

dote

Recruit

ill look around on craigslist for aluminum hulls. one question. are aluminum hulls better in salt water that fiberglass ones? all of my boat would be done in salt water.i just wanted to know. thanks

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

ill look around on craigslist for aluminum hulls. one question. are aluminum hulls better in salt water that fiberglass ones? all of my boat would be done in salt water.i just wanted to know. thanks

Aluminum is not ideal for saltwater due to possible corrosion however if the boat is trailered and rinsed when you're done I doubt you'll have any significant issues. Lots of tinnies being used in saltwater.