looking for a source for the thin "c" channel aluminum transom cap

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
I had found a supplier when I was doing my Lowe boat years ago...but I cant find them now... I am guessing 2" wide with about 5/16th legs...in about 1/16th "thickness. would give me and inside measure of about 1-7/8th"....just about perfect.

the stuff I found before looked like this on my LOWE transom:
2nveypt.jpg

I even made up a roller device to bend it!!

bob

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
If all your questions were in one build thread it would be an awesome informative build thread. I know this has already been mentioned. Just had to say it again. If 10 Active people here asked specific questions seperately this forum would be flooded. Not a personal thing bob, I just really cant follow what you are doing because although your questions are valid good ones, where is your build thread? lol Im just lost.

As for me on the cap. I went to a local metal shop and asked could they make it. They said yes. Im dropping the boat off in a few days for them to make it and fit it right. It would be nice if there was a aftermarket need and supply for them.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
If all your questions were in one build thread it would be an awesome informative build thread. I know this has already been mentioned. Just had to say it again. If 10 Active people here asked specific questions seperately this forum would be flooded. Not a personal thing bob, I just really cant follow what you are doing because although your questions are valid good ones, where is your build thread? lol Im just lost.

As for me on the cap. I went to a local metal shop and asked could they make it. They said yes. Im dropping the boat off in a few days for them to make it and fit it right. It would be nice if there was a aftermarket need and supply for them.

I mentioned this previously to a MOD

many questions on a build are GENERIC..if a thread has maybe 5 guys following it, any question might get those 5 guys maybe a few more lookers. There might be an electrical guru out there that could care less about my holiday build....but he sees a question on a 3 way battery switch...and he jumps right in. if the question is inside my Holiday build thread....he will never answer it! mostly because he isn't opening every single thread that pops up to the top of the forum!!!!!!

when it comes time to trouble shoot the outboard I install....should I only ask questions about why it wont start on my build thread? heck no...id be there for a long time probably. I do agree to go back into my build thread and mention things I have DONE... I got this flooring wood, I got this transom cap... ect..

this sight is gold mine of people that have don't it before....but all those minds are not reading every build I expect....

when I have a specific general question I pop in out there with its OWN TITLE and the people that want or can help, see it... they will know exactly what the subject is

thanks

BOB

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I made my own on my SeaNymph. I couldn't find 1/16" channel locally so I got some sheet. I cut it to size, screwed it down as I went heating, bending and hammering it over against the sharp edge of the transom AL, then you can flip it around and do the other side. Either leave as is or remove then back butter with some 4200 and reinstall.

IMAG0393.jpg

Last edited:

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
I see those screws are through dead center of the top, the place making mine will have a larger lip on the sides than the original due to their equipment on hand but I am thinking that will be better to re nail through the sides than the top.

4200 better to help hold the cap down than 5200 because its not as much of a permanent thing right?

I see your point on posts Bob.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
If you did try nailing, you would have to redrill new holes to hammer in nails, I can't see a way of lining them up to the existing holes once the new cap is on but you might get close. My SN had nails too but I used those SS screws on the top to make it more secure and press into the 4200. Those nails will come loose pretty quick and are open invitation to water. You can't really pre-drill a pilot hole for a nail if you want it to stay put and I'd like to see someone grease up a nail with 4200 seagull poop and hang onto it while trying to hammer it in. :lol: The new cap I made covered the holes which were filled with 4200. Yeah with 5200 if you even needed to take the cap off you would have to ruin it.

Last edited:

Fun Times

Staff member
I do agree to go back into my build thread and mention things I have DONE... I got this flooring wood, I got this transom cap... ect..
In a build thread, that all sounds reasonable to me as it would help keep things in perspective. One additional thought would be maybe it would be a little more helpful to some members that are following your (or a) topic is when you give the description of other questions asked elsewhere but pertains to the main build, try posting a link of the other topics in the main topic so that no one has to venture off the beaten path as far.;)

When things becomes difficult or confusing to follow is when two or more of the same general area questions have multiple topics..An example of that would be, 'is this engine item salvageable then create another topic asking what is the torque specifications for the same part in question earlier. We try to keep questions like those together.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I'm losing track how many of us have asked about keeping things together. The search feature will find stuff about rivets, transoms, gas tank strips, etc. and take you right to the post. For example, a search for "islander" in posts started by you brings me to this;

waterman.... I do have three pieces that represent "the splash well" minus the hinged door that seperates the well from the inside of the boat.. the side pieces of this three piece well attach to the end of the gunnels . for sure , since I have a MIG welder with a spool gun and several different rivet tool options...ill brace where ever it seems helpful still trying to keep a clean neat interior. I certainly wish there had been more guys that had the 22 ft V5 outboard that did some resto before me...the one guy who did the V5 holiday -turned islander-turned side console....posted two separate threads, but there was a gap in the middle that didn't show all his good work

MMMM - Sounds like you have the same complaint.