I have returned... with a Starcraft this time!

DLNorth

Chief Petty Officer
Is that contamination? What are you doing a final wipe with? Are you painting in a "booth"? if not, why not.
Are you cleaning the air before you paint? (water mist)

And I probably missed it but what are the letters for? if they are for the trailer, they will be dirty in the 1st 30 minutes of travel.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Those look like fish eyes rather than peel, Something is on the metal repelling the paint and not allowing it to flow. It could also be not enough paint being applied.

On the spray bomb, hand the can to the boy and have him shake it for at least as long as the directions say, maybe longer. The #1 mistake rattle bombers make is shaking the can for 30 sec or less before shooting it. Then let him paint something and see how it turns out.

DLNorth

Chief Petty Officer
Yup, silicone can do that. I didn't mention it before but, get a book called BrightWork by Whitman, it's a book about, surprise, Brightwork, (varnish) but the chapters about prep also apply to painting.

Those look like fish eyes rather than peel,

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Yup, that is fish eyes, somehow the surface of the letters are contaminated, like was asked, how are you doing your final wipedown and what are you using?

59Thompson

Seaman
What is the actual temperature of the metal letters and the actual temperature of the paint when you are spraying? Have had similar issues when leaving items in the garage overnight i.e. takes a long time for them to reach good painting temps in the morning not just gauging on outside air temps. For my fix, I wiped the metal with rubbing alcohol, brought it and the paint inside overnight, waited til 60s in the garage and went back and painted it there. Just rattle can rustoleum but that did the trick for me.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Hi guys. Yes, I'm okay. Lost interest in the project with the painting problems a month ago and it was too cold to paint anyway. I figured out the problem but the weather wasn't cooperating so I just walked away for a bit.

Then a good friend of mine died of a heart attack. He was 65 years old and 2 months younger than me. Knew him 16 years. :blue:

And another good friend, one I've known 39 years (in USAF together) is going in for open heart surgery next week. Triple bypass plus a couple of other things "while they're in there." :ambivalence:

My closest friend, also of 39+ years (another USAF bud) may be experiencing cancer relapse. Maybe. :grumpy:

Gives perspective.

As for my health, it's actually improving quite a bit. The horrendous headaches are gone. I figured out something that all the docs had overlooked. My NASA Systems Engineering background had me looking at a much larger picture than any of the docs had. Once implemented, I started making serious progress and started feeling much better quickly.

I'm still tapering off the Prednisone and am down to 5mg/daily. I'm dropping 1mg a month to avoid withdrawal. So far, so good! :nod:

However, one issue with the reduced Prednisone dosage is that I'm weaker than a kitten. The Prednisone caused atrophy in all of my muscles but also "pumped me up" when I was at the higher doses. At the lower doses, I'm at a point where I got a handicapped placard so that I don't have to walk as far when I park. And I use the electric cart thingies when I go into Walmart or Home Depot, etc.

I did start using my exercycle again but I'm lucky to get 2 or 3 minutes at a time before I'm exhausted. Gonna be a long road back to normal health, if I even get there. The Prednisone has cause some other permanent damage and I'm "living" with that. Blech. :facepalm:

A head cold got me a couple days ago so I'm not up to snuff right now. And it's 80 degrees pretty much all week here! :rolleyes:

I could be out fishing! Or working on the boat. :cool:

59Thompson

Seaman
Prayers for you and your family and glad to hear you have issues figured out. Slow and steady on your recovery, the boats will keep.

Monmouth00

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Good to hear you're feeling better. You'll be feeling more like yourself again before you know it. Baby steps.

Looking forward to you tuning your attention back to the boat soon! Fishing season is coming soon!

Pusher

Lieutenant
Seems like these real life problems happen in waves. Sorry you're having a tough time lately. I am glad to hear you're heading in a good direction. The smiles on your family's faces says you're needed for a good long time more!

I've been busy for a while. Finally pulling ahead of some projects and trying to catch up. Nice project you and the boy are making. I agree the dark gray doesn't look right. Have you tried a flat flat with a touch of gray just to eliminate the glare... or even a white textured deck like kiwi grip? I agree, it definitely needs to be lighter.

It's amazing how the brain reacts to drugs like steroids. The headaches are defintely a thing. Glad to hear you're almost down to no prednisone.

slow and sure wins the race.

Renderwurx

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey man! Time to get back in the saddle. I know too what it's like to go through some really rough health issues (Leukemia survivor and a heart attack 2 years ago)... and it really makes it tough when you see others you are close to pass from various things.I still have residual problems from both... but you know... what the hell. The way I figure it... every day is borrowed time... so do everything you can to thoroughly enjoy each one.

Working on a boat is cathartic for some.. others would rather be on the water. And then even other (like myself) want my cake and eat it too.

You've got that young man to help teach valuable skills that are becoming lost to the generation of video games and Facebook . A good woman to be a helpmate and companion in life.

Get that boat a movin' and take 'em fishing... because as Richard Gene says: "Go fishin' when ya can, cuz it's gooood fer ya!"

Watermann

It's been since February that BWR has posted here and March since last log on. Has anyone heard from him in a PM or know what's going on?

Just worried about him and if everything is alright.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Hi guys. Worry not. I'm fine. Thanks for thinkin' about me! :)

Haven't actually logged in since February. Part of the reason is because of all the weird forum issues, including "false" logins.

Been very busy but I promise to bring y'all up to date in a month or so.

But I'm fine.
Went on this 54' Bluewater... several times. And that 30' pontoon in the background on other occasions as well.
Bluewater Coastal Cruiser.jpg

And also had a very fast trip on this 47' go-fast with 900HP on the stern. 65+ MPH. Whoo-whee! :lol:
TripleSmiley.jpg

Attachments

• 900 Ponies.jpg
    900 Ponies.jpg
    708.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 900 Ponies.jpg
    900 Ponies.jpg
    708.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 900HP Go-Fast.jpg
    900HP Go-Fast.jpg
    647.3 KB · Views: 1

Watermann

I see why you forgot all about us :lol:

Thanks for checking in!

Decker83

Commander
Well look who showed up!! Glad to hear from you. Looks like your having some fun..
Very glad to hear your doing well..:biggrin-new:

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Hi guys. It's been awhile (again) and I'm sad to say that I still haven't finished the KF. :blue: :mad:

My health has much improved and a lot of work was done. But not quite enough to make it by the end of this year. :grumpy:

Frustrating. And expensive. :(