I have returned... with a Starcraft this time!

bchaney

Petty Officer 1st Class
Gray isn't bad but I like the white, it looks clean. You got some serious photoshop skillz.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Awe, if I paint my SS, it is going to be bright yellow, makes for a good looking boat cutting the wakes on the lakes!

But I am liking the white on this hull as well!

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Well, we did get out there and worked for an hour or so. Pulled the new deck back out and stuck some of the old deck and a spare piece of plywood in the boat so that we could sand.

And sand we did. Didn't take long at all using 220 grit paper and electrified sanding devices. ;)

"Working" deck in place.
1.jpg

The boy did the port side and I sanded the starboard side. He also got the "hard to reach" places.
3.jpg

I found a couple of runs on the outside of the hull and sanded those down. Will touch them up when I shoot the black on the topsides.
4.jpg

Ready for repainting. May prime, may not. I can't recall if the paint I used before needed priming. :noidea:
5.jpg

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    359.9 KB · Views: 0

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Awe, if I paint my SS, it is going to be bright yellow, makes for a good looking boat cutting the wakes on the lakes!

But I am liking the white on this hull as well!

Yellow would be cool. :)

I went with white/black color scheme so that the boat would match my wife's 2006 Saturn Vue which was Arctic white with black trim. That was supposed to be the tow vehicle for the Kingfisher but by the time I got around to actually painting the KF, the Vue was long gone, replaced by a red 2017 Hyundai Elantra. :lol:

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Oh yeah, we also got the glued on paper templates removed from the small letter set by first using acetone, which was okay, then mineral spirits which worked much better. They're now ready for sanding and cleanup prior to painting and mounting on the trailer.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Yellow would be cool. :)

I went with white/black color scheme so that the boat would match my wife's 2006 Saturn Vue which was Arctic white with black trim. That was supposed to be the tow vehicle for the Kingfisher but by the time I got around to actually painting the KF, the Vue was long gone, replaced by a red 2017 Hyundai Elantra. :lol:

I have a friend that owns a fully restored 1967 Mirrocraft aluminum runabout and he painted it bright Corvette Yellow and it is a good looking boat and you can't miss it on the lake. I have the same one he has sitting in the yard just waiting for me to restore it, which got put off this summer because I bought the SS so I spent the summer getting it ready for the water, but one of these days, I am going have been one of those yellow boats.

Last edited by a moderator:

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Today we did a little more.

I started sanding and smoothing the "S" in the small letter set to see if the set could be salvaged. I did a really lousy job cutting out those small letters and they'll require a significant amount of time to get properly cleaned up for painting. Took me nearly an hour to clean up that first "S" and even so, it isn't terrific. Might be easier and quicker for me to just cut out a new set. I'd still have to sand and smooth the new set too. Still thinking about that...

But I did get the "S" done and the boy primed it with SE primer. I checked on our white paint and it's no good anymore. I'll have to buy another can before I'll be able to paint the letters or the topsides for that matter.

I really boogered up the small letter set. I was in too much of a hurry and it was an experiment to see if I'd be able to do anything at all. The larger set came out MUCH better.
Click image for larger version  Name:	1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	439.1 KB ID:	10684877

The "S" is not perfect but it's good enough for mounting on the trailer. I'll work on the other letters a bit, then decide on whether or not to keep the current set or to make a new set.
Click image for larger version  Name:	2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	553.4 KB ID:	10684879

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    553.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    366.2 KB · Views: 0

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Need to pick up a small airbrush, I have several of them around here that I bought at Harbor Freight and they really come in handy for that sort of stuff and they are not expensive, I also have one of their small sand blasting tools which is perfect for touch up work.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Need to pick up a small airbrush, I have several of them around here that I bought at Harbor Freight and they really come in handy for that sort of stuff and they are not expensive, I also have one of their small sand blasting tools which is perfect for touch up work.

Yeah, I recently sold my airbrush that I had for my RC airplane stuff. Ah, well. :facepalm: :rolleyes:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I really like the small sand blaster, it really makes blending paint fixes back in a dream

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
I've had bad health days again for the last several days; yesterday especially so.

The only thing that I was physically able to do yesterday was to go look at the touch up paint area on the KF spray rail.

As usual for me... it suuuuuuucks! :facepalm: :lol:

I'm going to have to sand it down and repaint again. I'll use a spray gun next time.

I checked my records and it turns out that I sold my brand new, unused airbrush compressor almost 8 months ago during one of our major cleanup/reorganization efforts in the garage. Owned that thing for almost 5 years without using it and finally sold it to make room. Murphy's Law and whatnot. :rolleyes:

Airbrush.jpg

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Do you mean like this one?

I have one this size, but the one I use a lot when doing touch up on fresh paint work is actually smaller. This is it at HF

https://www.harborfreight.com/air-er...kit-69277.html

Works really good if you don't have a very big area to feather back out and then spray again. On scratches like you have on a hard end on your trailer, you would use it along that edge to feather out the edge of the scratch, then do a quick wet sand clean and reshoot. I would use a air gun to reshoot, that way you minimize the amount of over spray possibility.

It is a nice little blaster for etching glass and plexi as well if you want to do personalized logos or names in glass, you can use it with up to 65lbs or air pressure so it is pretty robust.

Look up some of the videos on "air eraser" on Youtube to see how to use these little guns, but for small areas, they are great!

Last edited:

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
I have one this size, but the one I use a lot when doing touch up on fresh paint work is actually smaller. This is it at HF

https://www.harborfreight.com/air-er...kit-69277.html

Works really good if you don't have a very big area to feather back out and then spray again. On scratches like you have on a hard end on your trailer, you would use it along that edge to feather out the edge of the scratch, then do a quick wet sand clean and reshoot. I would use a air gun to reshoot, that way you minimize the amount of over spray possibility.

It is a nice little blaster for etching glass and plexi as well if you want to do personalized logos or names in glass, you can use it with up to 65lbs or air pressure so it is pretty robust.

Look up some of the videos on "air eraser" on Youtube to see how to use these little guns, but for small areas, they are great!

Thanks! I'll check it out! :)

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Sigh... I'm discouraged. :blue:

It's been over 3 weeks since I've done any boat work. We left the masking tape in place on the touched up areas and surprisingly, the super sticky blue tape fell off part way but the green tape remained in place.

We reattached the blue tape and I'd planned on sanding down the messy paint job I did with the brush. Started with 400 grit and it cut right down through to the primer underneath in just a couple light swipes. Argh. :facepalm:

So I switched to 1500 grit wet/dry which I used wet. That did better but it became clear very quickly that I wasn't going to be able to do what I'd wanted. So I stopped. When we pulled the green tape up, it came off very easily without any issues. I'm impressed with that green tape!

The biggest issue is that I only used a single coat of black on the boat. That gave a very elegant looking low gloss sheen which contrasts beautifully with the glossy white. When I applied the second coat of black with a brush a few weeks ago I got a very glossy result which didn't match the rest of the paint. Plus, it was globbed up instead of smooth.

I guess I'll have to buy an air eraser and an airbrush and try again when the weather is warmer. I'll have to sand most of the spray rail down to primer if I can, so that I can spray a single coat which should better match the rest of the black areas. I really, really don't want to repaint this thing! :upset:

1.jpg

2.jpg

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
You have a nice little fishing boat there that is 100% better than when you started, won't ever sink and is going to have all new materials inside. So what's there to be discouraged about?